You don’t have to be a math genius to get excited about Pi(e)
When you hear the word Pi, you might start to recite “3.14159265359…”, but all we can think about is the kind of pie you can sink your teeth into! Lucky for all of us March 14 (3.14) is Pi Day. A day all about sweet and savory pies! Here are some of our local favorites that would be perfect to eat in celebration.
For your Sweet Tooth
Have a sweet tooth? Enjoy a slice, take a slice with you to enjoy later, or whip one up at home!
- Kate’s Sweet Indulgence: Featuring three pies by the slice – Peanut Butter, Coconut Cream and Lemon Meringue. You may also order these pies whole to enjoy with 48 hours notice. Or order whole Blueberry Sour Cream, Strawberry Rhubarb and Rhubarb Custard pies, all with a crumbling topping, with 48 hours notice.
- Founder’s House: To celebrate, Chef Chris will be featuring his locally famous Apple Crack pie. He uses apples from Barteaux Farms in Moschelle/Round Hill, just outside of Annapolis Royal. Available all day to satisfy your sweet tooth.
- Quarterdeck Beachside Villas & Grill: For Pi(e) Day, or any day, this tangy, zesty Sour Cream Lemon Pie is fun to make and a treat for your taste buds!
- Grand Banker Bar & Grill: Their French Apple Custard Pie is an elegant take on the classic apple pie with sauteed apples, creamy vanilla custard and crunchy almond streusel.
- Kiju’s Restaurant: Featuring their Coconut Cream Pie – a graham crust topped with coconut milk pudding and finished with whipped cream, toasted coconut and a drizzle of crème anglais.
- The Pressgang Restaurant: Finish off your pie inspired meal with the Peanut Butter Pie featuring oreo crust, whipped peanut butter and chocolate ganache.
- Inn on the Lake: Their mouth-watering famous Homemade Coconut Cream Pie is a traditional favorite for the past 32 years straight from their kitchen to your table! Garnished with whip cream, toasted coconut served with Frangelico and fresh mint. It’s simply wicked!
- Nova Scotia Apple Pie: This classic recipe is a slice of delicious nostalgia. Sweet and tart Nova Scotia apples mingle with cinnamon and sugar, making it a great dessert for any time of year!
Savour the Savory
You’d like to savor these celebrations? We have got you covered with seafood filling, flaky pastry and traditional comfort food.
- Masstown Market: What does one do when they’re craving seafood on a day to celebrate pie? This award winning Lobster Seafood Pie is made from scratch year-round and can be pre-ordered for pick up.
- 2 Doors Down & Chives Canadian Bistro: This enticing twist on a traditional Shepherd’s Pie is out of chef Craig Flinn’s cookbook, Out of New Nova Scotia Kitchens.
- Durty Nelly’s: If you’re one to not stray from tradition, we have a pie for you too! Their Shepherd’s Pie is made up of N.S ground beef, peas, champ potatoes, corn and carrots.
- Red Cap Restaurant: Try the traditional, Acadian Rappie Pie – combination of lightly seasoned grated potatoes, chicken and onions baked golden brown.
- Stories at the Haliburton: Fine dining pie! Try the Forest Mushroom Shepherd’s Pie with roasted cauliflower, a collection of vegetables and almond romesco.
- The Five Fisherman Restaurant: Celebrate the day with Lobster Pot Pie – Atlantic lobster, bacon, cream sauce, vegetables and short crust.
Take Out & Take Home
If you don’t feel like cooking, grab something to go or try a pre-made pie from one of these Taste of Nova Scotia members. All you need to do is put it in the oven!
- Kitchen Door: Be delighted on International Pie Day with their chicken dinner pot pie, braised beef shepherd’s pie, or make your very own pizza pie with their house made focaccia. Still hungry for more? Satisfy your sweet tooth with mini lemon pie parfaits in mason jars, delicious chocolate pecan pie squares, or Irish inspired pastries.
- Pie – R – Squared: Their artisanal kitchen uses locally raised meats and produce to create sensational dishes just for you, including – Grass Fed Beef and Ale Pot Pie, Free Range Chicken Curry Pot Pie, Free Range Chicken Pot Pie, Sweet Potato and Black Bean Pie, and Turkey Cranberry Pot Pie.