Beer & Cheese Dip
Looking for a quick, easy and cheesy appetizer? This recipe is a perfect snack to pair with a local beer for a night of entertaining or celebrating. Grab your cheese-loving, beer-drinking friends and enjoy!
|2 tbsp||salted butter|
|3||garlic cloves, minced|
|2 tbsp||white flour|
|1/2 – 3/4||bottle of Nova Scotia beer (add extra beer for a more intense beer flavour)|
|3 cups||aged cheddar cheese, grated|
|for garnish||green onion or chive (optional)|
|8-10||fresh pretzels for dipping (optional)|
- On low heat, sauté garlic on butter until fragrant in a small saucepan.
- Add flour – about 1/3 of a tablespoon at a time, whisking continuously until the mixture thickens.
- Turn heat up to medium. Wait a minute for the contents in the pot to come to temperature, then add beer slowly while continuing to whisk.
- Allow mixture to simmer on medium heat until it thickens and beer is well absorbed.
- Add the cheese a handful at a time. Continue to stir until cheese is fully melted and it has a thick, gooey and even consistency.
- Do the taste test!
- Add salt if need be, and garnish with green onion or chives if desired.
Local Source Guide
Local Beer: Boxing Rock Brewing, Garrison Brewing Company, Propeller Brewing Company, Saltbox Brewing Company, Meander River Farm & Brewery, Rare Bird, Schoolhouse Brewery, Sober Island Brewery.
Local Cheese: Knoydart Farm or Fox Hill Cheese House
Pretzels: Boulangerie La Vendéenne
Recipe and Photography provided by: Jessica Emin, @eatwithjessie
For more of our Taste of Nova Scotia events, news and recipes delivered directly to your inbox, subscribe to our Taste of Nova Scotia emails.