These Lentil Calzones are easy-to-eat pockets full of local goodness. The pastries are filled with sweet potato and caramelized onion, seasoned by an aromatic blend of spices. Perfect for entertaining guests, but just as great to enjoy on a cozy night in.
|1 cup (250 ml)||warm water|
|2 tsp (10 ml)||active dry yeast|
|3 cups (750 ml)||organic flour|
|1 1/2 tsp (8 ml)||salt|
|3 tbsp (45 ml)||olive oil|
|3||sweet potatoes, scrubbed clean, roasted at 400°F (200°C)*|
|2||yellow onions, peeled, sliced, caramelized until brown|
|2 tbsp (30 ml)||local non-GMO canola oil|
|8||cloves garlic, minced|
|2 tsp (10 ml)||cumin|
|1 tsp (5 ml)||cinnamon|
|1 tsp (5 ml)||
|2 cups (500 ml)||water|
|1/2 cup (250 ml)||green lentils|
|1/2 cup (250 ml)||spinach, chopped*|
- Start by making the dough. Combine flour and salt and set aside. In another bowl combine the water and yeast. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Add the oil and half the flour mixture to the water. Mix for 2 minutes, until smooth.
- Add the rest of the flour; knead for 5 to 7 minutes, until smooth.
- Put in a greased bowl and let rise for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile roast sweet potatoes in oven preheated to 400°F (200°C) until soft; about 30 minutes.
- Let cool, peel and mash.
- Sauté garlic, spices in canola oil one minute. Add salt, pepper, lentils and water.
- Bring to boil, simmer for 20 minutes. Stirring.
- Add chopped spinach, cook for 10 minutes. The lentils should be soft but not mushy.
- Drain and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cut dough into 8 pieces. Roll each into a ball. Cover and let rest 20 minutes.
- Roll each ball into 8 inch (10 cm) circles. Layer with sweet potatoes, lentils and onions. Fold top half over and seal edges well. Cut slits in top, put on parchment lined cookie sheet. Brush top with olive oil or egg white wash.
- Bake in oven preheated to 400°F (200°C) for 15 – 20 minutes.
Accompany these delicious calzones with homemade Chimichurri Sauce or salsa verde made from local grown herbs blended with a local non-GMO canola oil.
Recipe provided by: Chef and Co-Founder Debra Moore of Just Us! Coffee Houses
This recipe is featured in our 2016 Taste of Nova Scotia Culinary Adventure Guide