Lobster Cakes with Roasted Vegetable Relish
Most of us are familiar with fish cakes and crab cakes, but have your ever tried lobster cakes? This featured recipes from the 2016 Taste of Nova Scotia Culinary Adventure Guide is perfect for entertaining. They can be served with the vegetable relish and lemon thyme aioli an appetizer or a main course. This is also a great recipe to make use of left over lobster. In fact, it’s the perfect brunch recipe for the morning after a summer lobster boil!
|2 lbs||lobster claw and knuckle meat, coarsely chopped|
|1/2 cup||onion, minced|
|1 tbsp||garlic, minced|
|1/2 tbsp||mixed fresh tarragon and chives, chopped|
|1/4 cup||celery, finely chopped|
|2 cups||fine bread crumbs|
|vegetable oil for frying|
|roasted vegetable relish*|
|lemon thyme aioli (see below)|
- Mix all your ingredients in a large bowl to bind. Taste and season accordingly with salt and pepper.
- Shape the mixture into little round cakes and place on a baking sheet, cover and refrigerate for 1 hour to let the cakes set.
- With a non-stick pan heat oil over medium heat and sear the cakes on both sides until they are golden brown. Serve on a roasted vegetable relish.
Lemon Thyme Aioli
|1 tbsp||roasted garlic, minced|
|2 tbsp||fresh lemon juice|
|3/4 cup||olive & canola oil blend|
|1 tsp||fresh thyme leaves|
|1 tsp||lemon zest|
|salt & pepper to taste|
- Place cracked egg, dijon, minced garlic and lemon juice in a bowl.
- Slowly whisk in the olive and canola oil until the mixture thickens. (The oil should be poured in as slowly as possible.
- Whisk in lemon zest, thyme leaves and season to taste.
* to make a roasted vegetable relish combine diced roasted red, green and yellow peppers, diced zucchini, diced eggplant, diced tomato, finely chopped red onions and chopped mushrooms.
Recipe provided by: Chef Konrad Haumering, Atlantica Oak Island