Mac ‘n’ Cheese with Bacon
This recipe from Chef Chris Velden is possibly the best mac ‘n’ cheese ever. We’re talking cream, bacon and lots of local cheese (is there a better combination?). Experiment with different cheeses until you find your perfect combination.
|4 cups||Dry macaroni pasta|
|3 cups||Whipping cream|
|1 cup||Chicken stock or water|
|1/2 cup||Bacon, diced (we suggest: The Pork Shop or Meadowbrook Meat Market)|
|3 cups||Shredded cheese – such as Parmesan, cheddar, mozzarella, gouda (we suggest: Fox Hill Cheese House or Knoydart Cheese)|
|2 tbsp||Cornstarch (plus 2 tbsp water, mixed together)|
|1 1/2 cup||Bread crumbs|
|1 clove||Garlic, peeled and chopped|
|Salt, pepper, nutmeg (to your taste)|
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add macaroni and cook until done. Drain into a strainer and rinse quickly with warm water.
- When all the water is drained put cooked macaroni into a big bowl and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a pot and sauté bacon until crispy.
- Add the whipping cream and stock (or water). Season with salt, pepper, nutmeg and garlic.
- Bring to a boil.
- When boiling, add some of the cornstarch mixture to lightly thicken. Turn down heat.
- Add the shredded cheese and stir until dissolved. Bring to a quick boil.
- Add the hot cheese sauce to the macaroni and mix well.
- Place mixture into a casserole dish and sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- Put casserole dish into the preheated oven and bake until golden brown.
Chef’s Tip: Serve as a main with a side of organic mixed greens or use as a side dish for pork, chicken or beef.
Recipe provided by: Chef Chris Velden, The Flying Apron Cookery