Masstown Market Cranberry Orange Scones
Everyone will be begging for more when you make this Nova Scotia Cranberry Orange scone recipe. The tartness of the cranberries and the zing of orange make it the perfect accompaniment for tea and coffee or for brunch on the deck. Don’t forget to take this recipe on your next weekend getaway.
|2 3/4 cups (690ml)||all-purpose flour|
|4 tsp (20ml)||baking powder|
|1/4 cup (60ml)||granulated sugar (plus extra for topping)|
|1/4 cup (60ml)||instant skim milk powder|
|1/4 tsp (1ml)||salt|
|1/2 cup (125ml)||shortening|
|1 cup (250ml)||cold water|
|1 tsp (5ml)||finely granulated orange zest|
|3/4 cup (190ml)||Nova Scotia cranberries*|
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, baking powder, sugar, skim milk powder and salt in a bowl. Cut in shortening using a pastry blender.
- Add the water, orange zest and cranberries. Gently stir with a fork to mix wet and dry ingredients.
- On a sheet of wax paper, or lightly floured surface, carefully knead the dough several times until ingredients are uniformly mixed.
- Form dough into a ball, and place on the prepared pan. Flatten the ball into an 8-inch circle, about 1-inch (2.5 cm) think.
- Use a knife to score across each round, making 4 cross cuts, to form 8 scones. Sprinkle granulated sugar on top.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until light golden brown.
Makes 8 scones
*Try using Terra Beata Cranberries or other local fruit from Nova Scotia farmers’ markets in your scones
Recipe provided by: Masstown Market
This recipe is featured in our 2016 Taste of Nova Scotia Culinary Adventure Guide