Nova Scotian Old Fashioned
We all know the Old Fashioned – it’s a timeless favourite! This recipe takes this staple cocktail and adds some great local flavours. With hints of maple syrup and rosemary, the Nova Scotian Old Fashioned will have you and your friends raising your glasses in celebration of local.
This cocktail is also a perfect way to celebrate the Good Cheer Trail – Canada’s first and only distillery, winery, brewery and cidery trail, kicking off May 1st. Be sure to visit Caldera Distilling while exploring the Good Cheer Trail to stock up on whisky for this recipe!
|1/2 oz||Rosemary infused maple syrup*|
|2 oz||Caldera Distilling Hurricane 5 Canadian whisky|
|2-3 dashes||Angostura bitters|
|Garnish||1 sprig of burnt rosemary, zest of an orange|
- In a large rocks glass or old fashioned glass, pour rosemary infused maple syrup, Caldera whisky and bitters over two large cubes of ice.
- Stir with a bar spoon for 15-20 seconds or until the ice has slightly melted.
- Add a sprig of burnt rosemary to the glass, and zest the orange over the cocktail glass. Garnish with the orange zest.
Rosemary Infused Maple Syrup*:
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, warm 3/4 cup maple syrup, 1/4 cup water and 4-5 rosemary branches.
- Muddle the rosemary with a wooden spoon, as you stir the mixture and it infuses.
- Let the rosemary steep and warm in the maple for 5-10 minutes; you should smell the rosemary.
- Strain out the rosemary, let the maple cool, and store in a sealed jar for up to 3 weeks in the refrigerator.
Local Source Guide:
Local Whisky: Find Caldera Distilling whisky at their distillery (open seasonally), at select NSLC stores and at private liquor stores, like Bishop’s Cellar.
Maple Syrup (for syrup): Stop by Acadian Maple Products or Sugar Moon Farm to purchase some great local maple syrup.
Recipe and photography provided by: Jessica Emin, @eatwithjessie