This Sugar Cookie (Galettes au Sucre) recipe is featured in Nova Scotia Cookery, Then & Now – a cookbook showcasing modern interpretations of heritage Nova Scotia recipes.
“Sugar cookie is a classic in everyone’s culture in some form or other. We elevated it for a different feel. Layering it with buttercream and blueberry and rhubarb gave us tangy and sweet. It gave it a different appeal. The colour of the cream turned out really well – flecks of red and almost a light purple-ish.”
– Alain Bosse, The Kilted Chef
|1 cup (250 ml)||butter|
|1 cup (250 ml)||white sugar|
|2 cups (500 ml)||all-purpose flour|
|1/2 tsp (2 ml)||baking soda|
|1 tsp (5 ml)||cream of tartar|
|2 tbsp (30 ml)||maple sugar|
|3/4 cup (175 ml)||butter|
|1/4 cup (60 ml)||shortnening|
|5 cups (1.1 litre)||icing sugar|
For Rhubarb Filling
|3 cups (750 ml)||rhubarb, chopped|
|1 cup (250 ml)||water|
|1 tbsp (15 ml)||maple syrup|
For Blueberry Filling
|1 cup (250 ml)||blueberries|
|1/3 cup (75 ml)||blueberry juice|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, beating just to incorporate. Combine flour, baking soda, and cream of tartar, add to wet ingredients.
- Wrap dough with saran wrap, refrigerate 30 minutes. Place dough on floured surface and roll to 1/4 inch (0.6 cm) thickness. Cut into desired shapes, place on parchment-lined baking sheet, sprinkle cookies with maple sugar.
- Bake 13 minutes. Cool slightly then transfer to wire rack.
- For buttercream, place butter and shortening in bowl of stand mixer, mix on high until airy, scraping sides as you go. Incorporate icing sugar a cup at a time, beating well after each addition. Divide buttercream into 2 bowls.
- For fillings, boil rhubarb, water, and maple syrup in medium pot, over medium heat until liquid reduces by three-quarters. Drain in fine mesh strainer over bowl. Cook blueberries and juice in medium pot, over medium heat, until liquid is completely reduced.
- To one buttercream bowl, add rhubarb mixture, gently fold together. Add more icing sugar if needed. Fold in blueberry mixture to second bowl.
- Pipe buttercream onto one sugar cookie and top with another.
Local Source Guide
Produce: Noggins Corner Farm Market, Stirling Fruit Farms, Masstown Market or one of the many other Farmers’ Markets of Nova Scotia.
Maple Syrup: Acadian Maple Products, Sugar Moon Farm.
Blueberry Juice: Van Dyk’s Wild Blueberry Juice
Recipe provided by: Alain Bosse, The Kilted Chef