Sweet Onion Gratin
Onions are the king of the vegetables. Alliums (the plant family that includes garlic, chives and leeks) are the healthiest way to give bold flavour to dishes. In this dish, they’re not just adding flavour, they are the flavour and the main event. Pan roasted sweet onions covered in old cheddar, panko bread crumbs and herbs – a winning combination for sure!
|3||large sweet onions|
|1/2 cup||panko bread crumbs|
|1/2 cup||old cheddar cheese*|
|1/4 cup||fresh tarragon, coarsely chopped|
- Peel and cut onions into 1cm thick rounds**. Peel pearl onions, and leave whole.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Drizzle some olive oil onto the bottom of a large oven safe dish, preferable something with a few inches of depth. Put down one layer of onions then sprinkle with panko mix. Keep layering onions and add the remaining panko mix to the top of the onions.
- Bake for an hour, then finish with a few minutes on a low broil.
- Finish with sea salt and cracked pepper.
- Serve with Maple Pork Loin Rib Roast.
* We suggest using Fox Hill Cheese House and Knoydart Farm to source your cheddar cheese for this recipe.
** Pearl onions can be tedious to peel. For an easy solution to this problem, watch this video.
Recipe provided by: Jessica Emin, @thejessicaemin