What’s Cooking in Nova Scotia August 25 to September 8?
Back to school is just around the corner but that doesn’t mean the culinary adventures have to stop. From Good Cheer Trail fun and eating local with farmers’ market spoils, to feasting on food truck fare at a vineyard, here’s what’s cooking in Nova Scotia this week:
August 26 – 27
Treat the kids, and yourself, to one last overnight stay this summer. Pictou Lodge Beach Resort is celebrating the end of the season with their Back to School Bash. It’s fun for the whole family with bouncy castles, a reptile zoo and a yummy nightly barbecue.
Start the weekend early with a “Kitchen Party” style acoustic jam session at the Trellis Café, and while you’re there try their famous Fish Cakes – it doesn’t get any more Nova Scotian than this.
If you haven’t started your Good Cheer Trail adventure yet, now is the time. Get out this weekend and try some of Nova Scotia’s best wine, beer and spirits – this itinerary will get you 10 stamps on your passport.
This Saturday head down to L’Acadie Vineyards from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. for an exciting culinary food truck experience, and while you’re there enjoy a glass of their delicious organic wines.
Take in a movie and enjoy a meal in picturesque Mahone Bay. The Biscuit Eater Café invites you to join them for dinner and a movie – tonight’s feature is Spanish film Volver.
Dine on locally-inspired dishes at the Wild Caraway Restaurant & Café this Monday. Feast on delicious features such as chanterelle mushrooms, lavender ice cream and pan-roasted halibut – we promise you won’t be sorry.
Enter each week this month for your chance to win a Taste of Nova Scotia gift basket with Farmers’ Markets of Nova Scotia Cooperative and their 50% Local Food Campaign. Don’t forget to register and take the pledge to eat more local food this month – it’s easy with farmers’ markets like Noggins Corner and Masstown – good luck!
The first day of school is just around the corner but that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy a bit of #ChowderWednesday love. Try a bowl at Restaurant Avalon or head down the coast for chowder goodness at The Grubstake Restaurant, and don’t forget to get your Chowder Trail passport stamped.
Grab some friends and hop on the Wolfville Magic Winery Bus for a wine tour to remember. Enjoy stops at four Valley wineries where you’ll get to sample superb wine and taste delicious local food.
Treat yourself to a night out at Union Street Café. Enjoy musical entertainment by Ryan Cook & The Valley Singers and feast on their mouth watering Union Street Burger – yum-yum!
Full steam ahead to Chedabucto Bay for a cup of local Full Steam Coffee at the Skipping Stone Café. Enjoy locally-inspired baked goods with your “cup of joe,” then head to the ocean for an invigorating sea kayak adventure.
On-going events to watch for:
- May – November: Join Uncork Nova Scotia for a wine experience you won’t forget. Book one of their tours before the season ends.
- June – September: Visit Gaspereau Vineyards Saturdays from June 27 to September 5 for musical entertainment, wine and snacks on their vine-side patio.
- June – September: The team at Rudder’s Seafood Restaurant and Brew Pub want to teach you all about lobster. Learn the tricks of the trade from local fishers atop a real lobster fishing boat every Tuesday from June 30 to September 15.
- July – August: Enjoy live music, martinis, mojitos, and tapas on the outdoor patio at Domaine de Grand Pré every Thursday from July 2 to August 27.
- July – August: Set sail each Wednesday this summer with Luckett Vineyards and Tall Ship Silva for their Wines on the Water Wednesdays. Feast on a five-food and local wine pairing while you enjoy a two hour tour of the Halifax harbour.
- July – September: Get ready for an amazing experience with Delta Hotels and Murphy’s on the Water. “A Taste of Nova Scotia” is a culinary adventure package you won’t want to miss so book your spot now.
- July – October: Join Grape Escapes Wine Tours on select Saturdays from July to October for an exclusive tour at Benjamin Bridge and a two course gourmet lunch at Blomidon Inn.
- August: All you can eat $1.99 oysters at McKelvie’s Oyster Friday’s. While you’re there try their Sinful Caesar topped with an oyster for a sumptuous treat.
Save the Date:
- September 10-13, 2015: Boots, chaps and cowboy hats – it’s Country Music Week in Halifax. Check out the festival and eat at one of our many member restaurants.
- September 12, 2015: The Flying Apron Inn & Cookery – Dining on the Ocean Floor. Only one more date available so book your spot now. $250+HST per person or $475+HST per couple.
- September 17, 2015: The Coast is proud to bring you another summer of food truck fare with their Food Truck Party. Admission is $2.
- September 19, 2015: Planters Ridge Winery presents Oyster Fest. Come out and enjoy fresh oysters, wine and cider. The event is from 12:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. and tickets are only $35+tax.
- September 19, 2015: Celebrate the bounty of the beautiful Valley at Luckett Vineyards Bluegrass BBQ & Corn Boil. A night of eating, drinking and dancing.
- September 19, 2015: Eat, drink and enjoy all things garlic at the Avondale Garlic Festival held at the beautiful Avondale Sky Winery.
- September 19-27, 2015: Get ready for Sausage Fest – with sausage themed events and dinners happening all week long. For more information and a list of events, visit them here.
- September 19-27, 2015: It’s Organic Week all across Canada. Head to L’Acadie Vineyards (Sep. 20-23) to help celebrate the largest annual celebration of organic food, farming and products across the country.
- September 23-26, 2015: Tickets for the NSLC Port of Wines Festival are on sale now – Don’t miss out on this great event.
- September 24, 2015: The NSCC “Fresh Twenty One” Harvest Dinner happens this evening – A delicious seasonal dinner you won’t want to miss, so book your spot now.
- October 3, 2015: All you can eat oysters plus local craft beer and wine at the Halifax Oyster Fest on the waterfront.
- October 4, 2015: Celebrate with Avondale Sky Winery at their fourth anniversary. They’ll be roasting a pig and sampling wine, with proceeds going to the Building Fund of the Avondale United Church.
- October 16-18, 2015: Get Spirited Away in Lunenburg with Nova Scotia’s first ever Craft Spirits Festival.
- October 23-24, 2015: Ready to re-jig? Join in the fun at this year’s Re-Jigged Festival – It’s going to be bigger, better and best of all…. it’s happening in downtown Dartmouth.
- October 29, 2015: Delta Hotels presents – Raise a Little Hellp. Not your average fundraiser with award winning musicians, regional food and drink, and a lively silent auction!
- November 4-8, 2015: This November join Devour! The Food Film Fest for five days of film, food and wine. DevourFest. Eat it up!