Haskapa Glazed Turkey
Infuse your turkey with a unique, juicy, Haskapa flavour this Christmas. This crispy, crimson-coloured glaze is decorative and delicious!
|4kg||turkey, washed and patted dry|
|3 cups||rice stuffing|
|1 tsp||poultry seasoning|
|desired amount||salt and pepper|
|1 tsp||gumbo file|
|3 tbsp||Haskapa Haskap jam|
|1 tbsp||Haskapa Haskap juice|
- Season the bird’s cavity with salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, cayenne, paprika and gumbo file.
- Place the bird on a cookie sheet and then stuff your bird with the stuffing on both sides.
- Seal the ends with grapefruit halves. Secure everything with the help of skewers.
- Massage butter into the skin of the turkey.
- Heat the oven to 450 to 500 F.
- Season the top of the turkey with salt, pepper, gumbo file, poultry seasoning, cayenne and paprika.
- Flip the bird on the roasting dish and season it the same way.
- Put the bird in the oven and let it roast well for about 10 minutes or until nicely browned.
- Meanwhile spray the shinny side of the aluminium foil and then make a triangle out of it
- Take the turkey out when the skin is nicely browned and place the foil triangle loosely over the bird.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350 F and place the turkey inside the oven.
- Cook the turkey 20 minutes for every pound of meat until the meat reaches an internal temperature of 165 F. Meanwhile, baste the turkey with the juices in the roasting pan every 20 to 30 minutes.
- Blend haskapa jam with haskapa juice until its well blended
- Use this haskapa blend to glaze the turkey. Baste all over. Place the turkey back in the oven for about 5 minutes to caramelize the jam.
- Transfer the turkey from the roasting pan to a cookie sheet. Cover it loosely with the aluminium foil tent and let it rest.
*This recipe can be adapted (as pictured above) with just a turkey breast as well.
Recipe provided by: LaHave Natural Farms