Quinoa with Roasted Butternut Squash
This simple, yet hearty quinoa salad from Just Us! Coffee Houses is not only healthy, but it makes great use of local produce such as butternut squash, yellow onions, green pepper and feta. The real beauty of this dish is its versatility. It can be featured as an appetizer, a side or the main dish itself. It will also keep in the fridge for several days making it convenient for those busy weeks in September.
|1.5 lb (800 g)||butternut squash, peeled, cut into ½-inch cubes|
|2 tbsp (30 ml)||canola oil|
|1/3 lb (150 g)||caramelized yellow onions*|
|2 1/4 lb (1.2 kg)||cooked quinoa|
|1 cup (250 ml)||crumbled local Feta Cheese|
|2/3 cup (167 ml)||pine nuts, toasted|
|1||local green pepper, diced|
- Toss the squash cubes in a large bowl with 2 tablespoons (30 ml) of canola oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Roast in an oven preheated to 375°F (190°C), for 16 minutes, or until soft. Let cool.
- Put squash and remaining ingredients in a large salad bowl and gently mix together.
- Add the dressing (see recipe below) and toss gently.
* To make caramelized onions, cook them very slowly over a low heat in a frying pan with a little canola oil until they acquire a rich, brown colour.
|2 tsp (10 ml)||sea salt|
|2 tsp (10 ml)||Just Us! Coffee Organic Fair Trade sugar|
|½ tsp (3 ml)||black pepper|
|½ tsp (3 ml)||garlic powder|
|1 tsp (5 ml)||paprika|
|2/3 cup (167 ml)||vinegar|
- To make the dressing, combine all of the ingredients and whisk together well.
Recipe Provided by:
Just Us! Coffee Roastery & Museum