Savoury Morning Buns
Become the baking wizard of your dreams by making these Savoury Morning Buns from our 2019 Culinary Guide. Don’t let the time scare you, these delicious morsels are worth the time and patience.
|1 cup||Fox Hill milk|
|1||large free range egg (room temperature)|
|1||large free range egg yolk (room temperature)|
|2 1/4 tsp||instant yeast|
|4 cups||organic all-purpose white flour|
|1 1/4 cup||salted butter, softened & divided|
|1/2 cup||organic fair-trade sugar|
|1/2 cup||diced onion|
|1 cup||Fox Hill quark cheese|
|3 tbsp||heavy cream|
|2 cups||Fox Hill Herb & Garlic Gouda cheese, finely grated|
Make The Dough
- In bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together milk, egg yolk and yeast.
- Using the dough hook attachment, add flour, sugar, 1/4 cup butter, salt and beat at low speed for about a minute, until dough comes together. Continue beating for about 5 minutes, until dough is smooth and pulls away from sides of the bowl.
- Spray a large bowl with cooking spray. Turn dough onto a floured surface and shape into a small ball. Place dough in the bowl and turn dough to grease. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 2 hours.
- With a pencil, lightly draw a 12 x 18-inch rectangle on a sheet of parchment paper. Turn the paper over after drawing the rectangle so that either ink or led isn’t transferred to the butter. Place 1 cup of butter on parchment and roll out. Top with another sheet of parchment and shape to fit the rectangle, keeping it nice and straight to the edges. Transfer wrapped butter on a baking sheet, refrigerate overnight.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and shape into an 8 x 10-inch rectangle. Wrap dough with plastic wrap, refrigerate overnight.
- Let butter rectangle sit at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 16 x 20-inch rectangle. Unwrap butter and place at centre of the dough. Fold dough over the butter, meeting in the middle and press to seal dough around butter.
- Turn dough 90 degrees and roll dough into an 18 x 12-inch rectangle. Fold into thirds, turn 90 degrees and roll again. Fold into thirds once more.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold, about 20 minutes. Roll and fold into thirds. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1.5 hrs.
Make The Morning Bun
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Grease muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, melt remaining butter. Add onions and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit at room temperature.
- Roll dough into an 18 x 12-inch rectangle.
- In a stand mixer with paddle, whip 1 cup of quark with 3 tbsp of heavy cream until fluffy. Spread the quark mixture onto dough, sprinkle cooked onions and gouda cheese, leaving a 1-inch border on the bottom edge of the dough. Starting at the 18 inch long side, roll up the dough. Trim the edges and cut into 1 to 1 1/2-inch pieces. Place rolls into greased muffin tins.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool in muffin pans for 15 minutes. Remove and serve with local honey or jam.
Local Source Guide:
Dairy: Fox Hill Cheese House