Maple Bacon Crêpe
Your Sunday brunch just got better with this delicious twist on a classic crepe. With maple sausage, maple bacon, sunny-side up eggs and roasted potatoes we’re pretty sure this is the perfect breakfast. Drizzle with Nova Scotia maple syrup, pair it with a local maple wine, and you’ll have a new brunch tradition!
For Crepe Stuffing
|4||eggs (sunny-side up)|
|1 package||local maple smoked bacon,fried or baked|
|1 package||local breakfast maple sausages, pan fried and sliced into rounds|
|2||large potatoes washed, peeled, cubed small, seasoned and pan fried (hash browns)|
|mayonnaise (to taste)|
|maple syrup (to taste)|
For Crepe Batter
|1 1/3 cup||whole milk|
|1 cup||all purpose flour|
|2 tbsp||butter, melted and cooled|
|1/4 cup||parsley, finely chopped|
|dash||fresh ground pepper|
Preparation time: 40 minutes
- Prepare all stuffing ingredients (eggs, bacon, sausage and potatoes/hash browns) to your liking, set aside and keep warm.
- For the batter: In a large mixing bowl, beat together eggs, milk, butter, parsley, salt and pepper. Mix in flour a small amount at a time until the batter is uniform.
- Place a 9 inch, or larger, frying pan over medium to high heat, and once it reaches temperature (a drop of water will sizzle and evaporate quickly from the pan) use a 1/2 cup measuring cup to pour the crepe batter into the middle of the pan. Immediately lift off heat and rotate the pan to coat the entire pan to it’s edges and place back on heat, for about 20 seconds, watching closely for it not to burn, and flipping with a large spatula once golden-brown. Repeat until batter is gone. HINT: Any extra crepes can be frozen in a plastic sealable bag with wax paper between each crepe.
- Keep the crepes warm in the oven, on a plate, at the lowest setting.
- To assemble, place one crepe on each plate, and place a tablespoon sized dollop of mayonnaise (or for those more into sweetness, substitute for peanut butter or maple syrup) on each, and spread around the middle.
- Place the egg, a few strips of bacon, and 1/4 of the sausage slices and hash browns into the middle area of each crepe, season with salt, then fold the edges towards the middle, to make 4 folds.
- Serve with maple syrup, salt and pepper.
Local Source Guide:
Bacon and sausage: Meadowbrook Meat Market, The Pork Shop
Maple Syrup: Acadian Maple Products, Sugar Moon Farm
Milk: Fox Hill Cheese House
Produce: Noggins Corner Farm Market, Stirling Fruit Farms, Masstown Market or one of the many other Farmers’ Markets of Nova Scotia.
Recipe provided by: Jessica Emin, Eat With Jessie