Friday Night Drinks
In Nova Scotia, it isn’t hard to find exceptional cider, wine, beer and craft spirits being produced across the province by passionate artisans. Check out this week’s Friday Night Drinks blog to help inspire your inner mixologist, get recommendations for your next local purchase, and celebrate the people behind these fantastic local products.
This month, we’re featuring a cocktail recipe from Bistro 22, as well as a few new products from Benjamin Bridge, Boxing Rock Brewing Company, Annapolis Cider Company, Propeller Brewing Company, Lake City Cider, and Barrelling Tide Distillery.
If you love dill pickles, look no further than Raging Crow Distillery‘s small-batch, hand-crafted Dill Pickle Vodka! This tasty vodka is the perfect addition to any Caesar and is the inspiration behind this tasty cocktail recipe from Bistro 22.
|1 oz||Raging Crow Dill Pickle Vodka|
|6 oz||Clamato Juice|
|7-8 dashes||hot sauce|
|5-6 dashes||Worcestershire sauce|
|fresh ground pepper|
Makes: 1 serving
- Wet a highball glass by running a lemon wedge around the rim.
- Dip the glass’s wet rim in celery salt.
- Fill the glass half full with ice cubes.
- Add hot sauce and Worcestershire sauce, then add Raging Crow Dill Pickle Vodka and Clamato Juice.
- Top with fresh ground pepper.
- Garnish with lemon wedge and dill pickle.
Recipe provided by: Bistro 22
Not in the mood to whip up this delectable cocktail? Don’t worry – we have you covered with a few local beverages released this month!
Benjamin Bridge’s Pet Nat in a can!
The rumors are true, Benjamin Bridge has launched their Pet Nat in 250-milliliter cans. Not only do these specially designed cans suit the wine’s fun and lively characters, but they’re also perfect for sipping on this summer.
Rhubarb & Rose Hips at Annapolis Cider Company
This new sparkling cider is bursting with bright notes of tangy rhubarb and rose hips. Crafted from rhubarb juice, Golden Russet and Cox’s Orange Pippin apples they have infused dried rose hips to give the cider a light floral aroma, with a hint of red berries, and a clean, crisp finish.
Propeller Brewing Company has released lots of new flavors!
- Sasquatch Pale Ale: This fuzzy, golden Pale Ale is medium-bodied with juicy mango and pineapple flavors and gentle honey and hazelnut notes. It also features Canada’s first patented hop “Sasquatch”.
- Sabro DIPA: A single hop DIPA showcasing the Sabro hop. Sabro is an intense and unique hop, notable for its complexity of fruity and citrus flavors, including distinct coconut.
- Spooky Sour Saison: This unique brew is a mixed fermentation of Spooky Saison and a blend of Brettanomyces yeasts. Kettle soured and fermented on fresh apricots, this is an exciting farmhouse ale with complex fruit and spice characteristics and a dry, sour finish.
New citrus vodka soda from Barrelling Tide Distillery
The refreshing new Vodka Soda Citrus Twist from Barrelling Tide Distillery is made with all natural lemon, lime and orange flavours with just the right amount of fizz. Visit them at the Apple Blossom Brew Fest at the Wolfville Farmers Market to sample and pick up your six pack before they sell out!
Swing Thru Boxing Rock Brewing Company for an early “October” Fest
- Bergsteiger Maibock: We recommend picking up some local sausages and maybe even a giant pretzels from The Cake Lady to pair with Boxing Rock Brewing Company’s new German style lager!
- Swing Thru IPA: A collaboration between Boxing Rock and Saltbox Brewing Company. This zesty, full of life IPA will get your toes a tapping with aromas of lemon, apricot, peach and even coconut, followed by flavours of lemon zest, grapefruit flesh and a wee bit of pine resin.
- Summer Love Sour Ale: This dry hopped sour ale features Amarillo, Simcoe and delicious tropical fruits notes.
District Pride Rosé at Lake City Cider
Lake City Cider is the official cider sponsor for Halifax Pride this year and have released a new cider for the occasion! Made from house fermented Nova Scotia black currant wine blended with their District 5 Cider.
The 12 Tides Tidal Bay release also took place this month featuring the 2018 Tidal Bay vintage from wineries around the province. This year’s lineup is sure to be a hit with wine lovers everywhere!