The Kilted Chef’s Seafood & Bacon Chowder
One of the best ways to enjoy local seafood? In a chowder! With chunks of seafood and potatoes in every bite, this Atlantic Canada Seafood & Bacon Chowder from the Kilted Chef will fulfill all your chowder and seafood needs.
|4||slices smoked bacon, diced|
|1||small onion, diced|
|3||green onions, chopped|
|1||rib of celery, diced|
|1/2||red pepper, finely diced|
|1||medium carrot, diced|
|1 cup||corn niblets (fresh or frozen)|
|1||jalapeno seeded and chopped|
|2||green onions, chopped|
|1/2 tsp||black pepper|
|4 cups||lobster broth|
|2 lbs||seafood of your choice, cut into bite-sized pieces|
|24||baby potatoes halved and parboiled until fork tender|
|2 tbsp||fresh dill chopped|
|1 1/2 cup||heavy cream|
- Melt the butter in a heavy bottom pot then sauté the bacon till rendered. Add the onions, celery, carrots, corn, and jalapeno and sauté until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Add the flour and stir for 2 to 3 minutes so that no raw flour will remain.
- Stir in the green onions, salt, pepper and lobster broth, scraping up any brown bits on the bottom.
- Once the broth has come to a slow boil turn down to a high simmer and add the seafood of choice, cook for 10 to 12 minutes allowing the seafood to poach.
- Gently stir in the potatoes, the dill, and the cream. Warm through. Serve with fresh dill on top.