Blueberry Honey Cake with Bluenose Rum Sauce
Each bite of this warm, sweet dish will bring you home to Nova Scotia! Whether it’s a family staple or a local restaurant go-to, warm blueberry cake with a rum sauce is a local favorite.
Butter, room temperature
|1 cup||Cornect Family Farms honey*|
|1 tsp||Lemon zest|
|1 cup||Whole milk|
Wild Nova Scotia blueberries (fresh or frozen)**
|¾ cup||Brown sugar|
|½ cup||Whipping cream|
|3 tbsp||Ironworks Distillery’s Bluenose Rum***|
Directions (serves 4):
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9×13-inch pan with butter and flour.
2. Use a hand or stand mixer to beat the butter until fluffy and light, then add the eggs and honey. In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, salt, baking powder and lemon zest. On a low speed, beat in the dry ingredients followed by the milk and vanilla. Continue to beat until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
3. Pour the batter into the prepared pan then sprinkle with the blueberries. Bake about 40 minutes or until the top springs back slightly when pressed. Let cool.
4. In a small saucepan, heat the brown sugar and butter over medium heat until all the sugar is dissolved. Add the cream and rum. Simmer, stirring occasionally until slightly thickened – about 5 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature
Recipe provided by: Kelly Neil & Kathy Jollimore
* Visit Cornect Family Farm‘s website to find where to purchase their honey.
** Pick up farm-fresh seasonal produce from Noggins Corner Farm Market, Stirling Fruit Farms, Masstown Market or one of the many other Farmers’ Markets of Nova Scotia.
*** Find Ironworks Distillery‘s Bluenose Rum at their distillery, select Farmers’ Markets of Nova Scotia, at your local NSLC store or specialty liquor stores.