Taste of the Month: Apples
An apple a day keeps the doctor away! Freshly sliced, baked in a pie, sprinkled with cinnamon or paired with a piece of cheddar – September in Nova Scotia is all about apples.
- U-Picks: Grab your basket and head out to the apple orchard. Stirling Fruit Farm and Noggins Corner Farm Market in Wolfville both feature an apple u-pick beginning in mid-September and running until the end of October. Visit their websites for official start dates.
- Buy Local: No time to make it to the orchard? No problem! You can purchase Nova Scotia apples from Stirling Fruit Farms, Masstown Market, Noggins Corner Farm Market or your local Farmers’ Market year-round. Did you know there are more than 40 varieties of apples grown in Nova Scotia?
- Apple Cider: Apples aren’t just for eating! This month pick up a bottle of cider from Stirling Fruit Farm, Noggins Corner Farm Market, Bulwark Cider, Annapolis Cider Company, Petite Riviere Vineyards or L’Acadie Vineyards.
- Apple abundance: Don’t stop at cider – make sure you soak up all the apple goodness you can this September! Try Grand Pre Wines Pomme D’Or Apple Cream Liqueur, Ironworks Distillery Apple Brandy, Noggins Corner Farm Market apple chips, Acadian Maple Products maple apple butter or Galloping Cows Fine Foods apple butter, and Tangled Garden apple sage jelly.
- Explore: Summer may be winding down, but the Nova Scotia Culinary Trails are still going strong. Dive into your new favourite bowl of chowder, crack open lobster, and tap into wine, cider, beer and spirits on the Nova Scotia Chowder, Lobster and Good Cheer Trails.
All month, we’ll be featuring apple recipes on our website. Try out our Nova Scotia Apple Pie and Apple Pulled Pork slider (recipes posted shortly!) for a burst of apple flavours.
Apple season won’t last forever so don’t forget to #tasteofthemonth on all your apple adventures.
Want to know what we’ve got coming up? Expect foodie news on these themes in the upcoming months:
October – Harvest
November – Taste of Tradition
December – Decadent December
For more of our Taste of Nova Scotia events, news and recipes delivered directly to your inbox, subscribe to our Taste of Nova Scotia emails.