FID Cakes & Beet Quickle
14 oz (400 g) salt cod
1.75 pound (800 g) cooked baked potato (no skins)
1 tsp (5 ml) garlic (purée)
5 turns of a pepper mill
1/3 cup (75 ml) olive oil
1 pound (500 g) Panko bread crumbs
2 cups (500 ml) egg whites
2 cups (500 g) all-purpose flour
- Soak the salt cod overnight in cold water in the refrigerator. Remove the salt cod from the water and put into a pot with cold water.
- Bring the cod to the boil for a few minutes and drain the water. Make sure to remove all bones from the cod.
- Mix the cooked potato and the cooked cod together with a hand-held mixer. While mixing, add the olive oil to make a relatively workable consistency. (Not too loose.) Add pepper and garlic.
- Form small rounds that are ¾ inch (2 cm) high and 1½ inches (4 cm) in diameter. Lightly dust the cakes with flour, dip into the egg whites and then the bread crumbs.
- Fry in clarified butter to obtain slight coloration on each side and roast in the oven for 4 minutes at 475°F (245°C).
2 beets boiled, peeled and diced into small dice
2 tsp (10 ml) rice vinegar
1 tsp (5 ml) sugar
20 leaves of fresh cilantro
- Mix the beets, vinegar and sugar together.
- Mix approximately 2 oz (60 g) of the beet mixture with some fresh cilantro leaves and mold on a plate.
- Place the Fid cakes as seen in the photo and garnish.
Recipe provided by:
Chef Dennis Johnston
FID Resto, Halifax