J. Willy Krauch Smoked Salmon & Tomato Tartlets
These J. Willy Krauch Smoked Salmon & Tomato Tartlets are perfect to serve at your next summer gathering.
|1/2 cup||Unsalted butter, cubed cold|
|1/4 cup||Water, ice cold|
|1 1/4 cup||All-purpose flour|
|1 cup||Soft goat cheese|
|2 tbsp||Shallot, finely chopped|
|1||Clove garlic, finely minced|
|1/2||Lemon, juiced and zested|
|200 g||J. Willy Krauch smoked salmon|
|2||Fresh dill fronds|
|2 tsp||Flaked Salt|
- Mix cold butter with flour. Break butter into pea size pieces.*
- Dissolve salt in water and add to flour.
- Lightly mix water with flour and butter until a shaggy dough is formed. Do not kneed.
- Shape shaggy bits of dough into a rectangle. Roll out rectangle until it’s half as thick and then scrape the top, bottom and sides together again to the original size and re-roll. Repeat three or four times until you have a smooth, cohesive dough. You should have a neat rectangle. Wrap the dough and chill in the fridge for at least half an hour.
- Divide the dough into 4 even pieces. Roll out dough into 3 mm thick sheet. Place the sheet of dough over tart shell and press it into the shell until dough goes up the sides. Trim excess dough to the rim of the pan with a knife. Pierce the base of tarts with a fork. Place in fridge and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Line pastry shells with parchment paper and fill with pie weights. Bake tarts for 20 minutes. Remove pie weights and parchment paper and bake for additional 10 minutes or until the shells are golden and crisp. Remove from the oven and cool completely before filling.
- In a bowl, mix goat cheese, lemon zest, lemon juice, shallot, garlic, salt and pepper together until well combined.
- Cut each tomato in half lengthwise and thinly slice into half-moons. Place slices on paper towels to absorb excess moisture.
- Slice smoked salmon slices into 1-inch strips lengthwise.
- Divide goat cheese mixture among tart shells and evenly spread so it covers bottom of the tart.
- Starting from the outer perimeter, layer smoked salmon followed by two layers of tomatoes. Repeat pattern until you reach the center of each tart.
- Garnish tarts with dill fronds and finish with flaked salt.
*Store bought tart shells can be used if you do not wish to make homemade tart shells.