Maple Bacon Crêpes
What a way to start the day with this outstanding breakfast recipe! Enjoy the sweetness of local bacon and sausages, with hints of maple syrup and seasoned potatoes. You will feel rejuvenated and ready to take on the world after eating this dish from our 2019 Culinary Guide.
Ingredients – Crêpe Stuffing
|4||eggs sunny-side up|
|1||package local maple smoked bacon|
|1||package local breakfast maple sausages|
|mayonnaise (to taste)|
|maple syrup (to taste)|
Ingredients – Crêpe Batter
|1 1/3 cup||whole milk|
|1 cup||all purpose flour|
|2 tbsp||butter, melted and cooled|
|1/4 cup||parsley, finely chopped|
|dash of fresh ground pepper|
- Prepare the eggs sunny-side up.
- Fry or bake the local maple smoked bacon.
- Pan fry the local breakfast maple sausages and slice into rounds.
- Wash and peel the large potatoes then cut them into small cubes, season and pan fry.
- Set aside all ingredients and keep warm.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together eggs, milk, butter, parsley, salt and pepper. Mix in flour a small amount at a time until the batter is uniform.
- Place a 9 inch, or larger, frying pan over medium to high heat. Once it reaches temperature (a drop of water will sizzle and evaporate quickly from the pan) use a 1/2 cup measuring cup to pour the crêpe batter into the middle of the pan.
- Immedietely lift off heat and rotate the pan to coat the entire pan to its edges and place back on heat, for about 20 seconds, watching closely for it not to burn, and flipping with a large spatula once golden brown.
- Repeat until batter is gone. HINT: Any extra crêpes can be frozen in a plastic bag with wax paper between each crêpe.
- Keep the crêpes warm in the oven, on a plate, at the lowest setting.
- Place one crêpe on each plate and place a tablespoon dollop of mayonnaise (or for those more into sweetness, substitute for peanut butter or maple syrup) on each, and spread around the middle.
- Place the egg, a few strips of bacon, and 1/4 of the sausage slices and hash browns into the middle area of each crêpe and season with salt then fold the edges toward the middle to make 4 folds.
- Serve with maple syrup, salt and pepper.
Recipe and photo credit: Jess Emin
Local Source Guide:
Bacon and sausage: Meadowbrook Meat Market, The Pork Shop
Maple Syrup: Acadian Maple Products, Sugar Moon Farm
Milk: Fox Hill Cheese House
Produce: Noggins Corner Farm Market, Stirling Fruit Farms, Masstown Market or one of the many other Farmers’ Markets of Nova Scotia.
For more of our Taste of Nova Scotia events, news and recipes delivered directly to your inbox, subscribe to our Taste of Nova Scotia emails.