Nova Scotia Wild Blueberry Crisp
Blueberry season is a special time in Nova Scotia and this recipe is a great way to kickstart the season. Using local Nova Scotia blueberries, this dessert is a timeless classic that can be enjoyed by kids and adults alike!
|3/4 cup||Oats, rolled or quick|
|1/2 cup||Butter, softened|
|1/3 cup||White sugar|
|1/2 tbsp||Thyme leaves, destemmed (optional)|
|3/4 cup||White sugar|
|3 tsp||Salted butter, melted and cooled|
|1||Large egg, well beaten|
|1 – 2 tbsp||Thyme leaves, destemmed (optional)|
|4 1/2 cups||Frozen wild blueberries|
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Add crisp topping ingredients to medium-size mixing bowl and loosely mix with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon and hands. The mixture should form pea to small grape size clumps.
- Once mixed, crumbled, and butter is incorporated throughout, set aside.
- To begin filling, add sugar and cornstarch to medium mixing bowl and whisk. Then add melted butter and cream the ingredients until consistent and all dry ingredients are moistened.
- Add the well beaten egg and mix again until smooth and consistent. This mixture will be thick, like a cake batter.
- Pour blueberries and thyme into filling mix. use a spatula to fold until the blueberries are covered in filling mixture.
- Spoon filling mix into a deep 9 inch pie plate, cast iron pan, or cake pan. Add crisp topping mixture evenly over the filling.
- Bake for 55 minutes or until blueberries are sticky, bubbling, and crisp has turned golden.
- Cool and serve with ice cream or whipped cream. Cover with airtight wrap and refrigerate for safe keeping.
Local Source Guide:
Produce: Noggins Corner Farm Market, Stirling Fruit Farms Ltd., Masstown Market or one of the many other Farmers’ Markets of Nova Scotia.
Blueberries: Oxford Frozen Foods, Country Magic, Millen Farms, Bonnyman’s Wild Blueberries, Noggins Corner Farm Market, Stirling Fruit Farms Ltd., Masstown Market or one of the many other Farmers’ Markets of Nova Scotia.
Recipe provided by: Jessica Emin
Photography provided by: Jessica Emin, @eatwithjessie.
This recipe is featured in our 2021 Taste of Nova Scotia Culinary Guide.