March Maple Contest Winner – Brown Butter Tarts with Maple
Congratulations to Janet Todd, winner of the March maple recipe contest. Janet submitted her favourite maple recipe for Brown Butter Tarts with Maple to win a Taste of Nova Scotia gift basket. Want to get in on the winnings? Submit your favourite snow crab recipe to firstname.lastname@example.org before the end of April to qualify to win this month’s prize.
For the Pastry
3 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 freshly grated whole nutmeg
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup frozen butter, grated
½ cup ice water
For the filling
½ cup butter
½ cup Acadian Maple maple syrup
½ cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 tablespoons flour
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, nutmeg and salt.
- Grate in the frozen butter using the large holes of a standard box grater and toss quickly to thoroughly coat with flour.
- Sprinkle in the ice water then stir until a dough forms. Knead the dough just a few times as needed to bring everything together.
- Immediately roll it out thinly – about 1/4 inch thick – and cut out 12 circles.
- Fit them into a lightly oiled muffin tin.
- Brown the butter by placing it in a saucepan over medium heat, heating and melting it until it begins to steam and foam.
- Keep a close eye on it as it foams. Swirl it gently, watching the color. When it turns golden brown and releases the aroma of toasting nuts, immediately remove it from the heat and whisk in the maple syrup, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla.
- Add the flour and stir to combine. Put together and bake for 10-12 minutes.
Recipe provided by: Janet Todd – maple contest winner (March)