Scalloped Potato Bake
Every main course needs a side dish. A tasty side dish makes a good meal, GREAT. There is no better accompaniment to your ham, turkey or chicken than this Cheddar and Leek Scalloped Potato Bake. The perfect combination of cheesy and creamy is sure to satisfy your taste spuds.
|5 cups||Thinly sliced raw potato, approximately 5-6 large potatoes, can use a mix of white and sweet potato|
|2 large leeks||Washed, hard tops removed, chopped into small pieces or ribbons|
|1/3 cup||All purpose flour|
|3 cups||Whole Foxhill milk|
|300 grams||Cheddar style cheese from Foxhill, grated|
Preparation time: 1h 20 minutes total, 20 minutes active, 1h baking
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- In a medium sized sauce pan, over low heat, melt butter, then whisk in flour, and allow to thicken.
- Add milk, add leaks, and increase the heat to medium-low heat, simmer, whisking frequently, for 5-6 minutes, or until mixture begins to thicken and would coat a spoon.
- Once the milk mixture has thickened, whisk in the salt, then add the cheese, stir until melted and completely incorporated, and then take off of the heat.
- In a roughly 11 x 8 or larger pan, begin layering the potato slices, fill about 1/4 of the way and then pour 1/4 of the sauce uniformly over the potato.
- Add more potato, then more cream, repeat. (Make sure you reserve enough of the cheese sauce to pour over the entire top at the end)
- Once the pan is full, and you can fill it up to the very edge, as the potatoes will condense and shrink in the pan.
- Tent the pan with tinfoil and place in the oven for 1 hour. Once there are 10 minutes left of cooking remove the tinfoil and let the top crisp up.