What’s Cooking: October 20 – 27
From food film festivals to holiday exhibitions to new product launches, keep reading to find out what’s cooking this week!
Last week, Compass Distillers revealed an exciting new product – the Italian Style Bitter Aperitivo! This bold spirit combines grapefruit and orange notes with a complex and lingering bitterness from an infusion of wormwood, rhubarb, gentian, and ginseng roots. Perfect for Negronis, Boulevardiers, or sipping with ice and soda. Try it now – this is a limited release with only 375 bottles made! Available at the distillery and via their online store.
Devour! The Food Film Festival
The annual Devour! The Food Film Fest is back in Wolfville this year from October 23 – 29, combining cinematic excellence with extraordinary culinary experiences. This year’s festival will dig into Acadian, Québecois, Cajun, Creole, and French cuisine, and explore how they intersect on the screen and on the plate.
Lake City Cider
Lake City Cider is now offering Hot Apple Cider, made ready-to-go! As the weather gets chillier, try a hot non-alcoholic cider (or a boozier option) to warm yourself up.
Saltscapes Fall Expo: Harvest Greets the Holidays
Looking to shop local this holiday season? Stop by the Halifax Exhibition Centre from October 27 – 29 to take a look at Saltscapes Fall Expo: Harvest Greets the Holidays! Shop handcrafters, artisan retailers, local small businesses and many Taste of Nova Scotia members while listening to festive live entertainment, sampling delicious food and beverage and experiencing live interactive demonstrations.
Planters Ridge Winery
As fall creeps into Nova Scotia, what better way to celebrate than to try Planters Ridge Winery’s new Autumn Reds Collection? This 12-pack of wine introduces you to the finest offerings of the 2021 vintage, perfect for cozy evenings by the fireplace. Includes 4 bottles of 2021 Pinot Noir, 2021 Heritage Red, and Quintessence Red. Try it now – available in limited quantities!
The Flying Apron Cookery
Celebrate the flavours of the season with The Flying Apron’s Fall Harvest Brunch Buffet on October 28! Featuring fresh baked pastries, savoury dishes and decadent desserts, how could you have brunch anywhere else? Call the Flying Apron Cookery to book reservations.
- November 2: Mark your calendars for an evening of music, story and art as the Cold Harbour Heritage Rural Society presents Our Heritage at Alderney Landing. Enjoy live entertainment from musicians, storytellers, and artists, a dessert buffet prepared by the Heritage Farm’s Rose and Kettle Tea Room, and a silent auction.
- November 3: Celebrate the launch of Chef Craig Flinn’s newest cookbook ‘The East Coast Celebrations Cookbook’ with a multi-course maple inspired dinner at Sugar Moon Farm.
- November 10 & 11: Enjoy an exclusive six-course Vintage Wine Dinner at the Grand Pré Winery, featuring Nova Scotia’s oldest wines from their vineyard. Dinner will take place in the cozy surroundings of the private dining room at the Inn at Grand Pre. What better way to spend a chilly weekend in November?
- November 11: Founders House is kicking off their annual Wine Makers Dinner Series on November 11th, featuring wines from Planters Ridge Winery. Savour a four-course meal with paired wines while the Wine Makers chat about each wine and what makes them unique.
Featured Recipe: Spicy Pork Bites with Orange Ginger Glaze paired with Gaspereau Riesling
These Spicy Pork Bites are the perfect snack or appetizer for your next dinner party (or for a cozy night in at home!). Packed with delicious flavour and spice, and covered in an orange ginger glaze, this recipe is sure to keep you warm as the weather gets cooler. Pair with a Gaspereau Vineyards Riesling to take this dish to the next level!
Local Source Guide:
- Produce: Noggins Corner Farm Market, Masstown Market, Stirling Fruit Farms Ltd. or one of the many other local Farmers’ Markets of Nova Scotia.
- Wine Pairing: Gaspereau Vineyards, your local NSLC or private liquor store.