Apple, Maple & Mustard Caramelized Ham
Meadowbrook Meat Market in Berwick is “Home of the Jimmie Lamb Ham”. Choose from their fully cooked boneless hams (either natural wood smoked, maple ham) or a ham that requires roasting (old-fashioned ham or picnic ham). Meadowbrook sells their products directly from their farm or at their Alderney Landing location in Dartmouth.
For the Glaze:
|2tbsp (30ml)||maple syrup (we suggest: Acadian Maple or Sugar Moon Farm)|
|2tsp (10ml)||Dijon mustard|
- Preheat oven to 350F (177C). If using a fully cooked, boneless ham, place ham in oven and warm to 130F (55C).
- Whisk maple syrup and Dijon together. Brush sauce onto the warmed ham. Return ham to the oven uncovered. Broil on high in the middle of the oven about 10 to 15 minutes. Check to see that the maple and mustard make a nice caramel color. (Watch carefully while under the broiler to avoid burning the ham.)
- Remove from oven, slice and serve with the apple maple mustard reduction. (See directions below.)
For the Sauce:
|1 cup (250ml)||apple cider|
|4 tbsp (60ml)||maple syrup|
|1 tbsp (15ml)||Dijon mustard|
|2 tbsp (30ml)||apple, peeled and diced|
- Place all ingredients (plus salt and pepper – to your taste) in a sauce pan over medium heat and reduce until half.
- Before removing from the heat add the apple. Simmer for two more minutes.
The ham can be served with local in season vegetables such as roasted potatoes and steamed asparagus. This ham recipe is also perfect to eat as leftovers.
Recipe provided by: Meadowbrook Meat Market