Bulwark Original Cider Braised Pork Loin
If you’re in the mood for a tender, juicy and delicious meal—then this is the recipe for you. This recipe uses Bulwark cider and apple cider vinegar to marinate the roast until perfection. Apples, local honey and cranberries are used to create the tasty chutney.
|3 tbsp||Vegetable oil|
|3 – 4 lbs||Bone-in pork roast (loin or shoulder)|
|500 ml||Bottle Bulwark Original|
|3 tbsp||Apple cider vinegar|
|2 tsp||Black pepper|
|2-3||Large garlic cloves, minced|
|3 lbs||Apples, peeled and diced (firm apple preferred)|
|2/3 cup||Light brown sugar|
|1/2 cup||Nova Scotia honey|
|1 cup||Fresh Nova scotia cranberries|
|2||Medium yellow onions, finely chopped|
|2 tsp||Mustard seeds|
|2 tsp||Fresh ginger, finely minced|
|3 cups||Apple cider vinegar|
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- In a Dutch oven (or oven safe heavy bottomed pan with tight-fitting lid), heat oil over medium/medium-high heat.
- When oil is rippling, brown pork roast a couple minutes on each side.
- Whisk together Bulwark Cider, apple cider vinegar, salt, pepper, garlic, and thyme; pour over pork roast.
- Cover and bake in 450F oven for 15 minutes.
- Lower oven temperature to 300F, continue to bake another 2 hours (add 15 minutes per pound over 4 lbs).
- Combine all ingredients in a large, heavy saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat, then simmer uncovered stirring frequently for 30 – 40 minutes, or until thickened.
- Serve over pork roast.
Local Source Guide:
Bulwark Original Cider: Purchase Bulwark Cider at their cidery in New Ross, the Cider House in Halifax, by ordering online, or by visiting the NSLC, WestSide Beer Wine Spirits, Harvest Wines & Spirits or Liquid Assets.
Produce: Noggins Corner Farm Market, Stirling Fruit Farms Ltd., Masstown Market or one of the many other Farmers’ Markets of Nova Scotia.
Apples: Noggins Corner Farm Market, Scotian Gold Apples, Stirling Fruit Farms Ltd.,, Masstown Market or one of the many other Farmers’ Markets of Nova Scotia.
Pork Roast: Masstown Butcher, the Pork Shop, or Meadowbrook Meat Market
Honey: Cornect Family Farm.
Recipe provided by: Bulwark Cider, Muwin Estate Wines Ltd.
Photography provided by: Jessica Emin, @eatwithjessie.
This recipe is featured in our 2021 Taste of Nova Scotia Culinary Guide.