Heartwood Bowl with Peanut Sauce
Time to spice things up! This recipe from our 2019 Culinary Guide offers a creative blend of hearty flavours and fresh greens that will leave your taste buds wanting more.
Ingredients – Heartwood Bowl
|1 cup||cooked brown rice|
|4||carrots, peeled and cubed into 1/2 inch pieces|
|2||red beets, peeled and cubed into 1/2 inch pieces|
|1 tsp||olive oil|
|1 bunch||of kale, stalks removed, roughly chopped|
|1 bunch||chard, roughly chopped|
|1/4 cup||pumpkin seeds, lightly toasted|
|fresh greens to garnish|
Ingredients – Peanut Sauce
|1 1/2 cups||unsweetened peanut butter|
|1 tbsp||fresh ginger, minced|
|1||garlic clove, chopped|
|3 tbsp||lime juice|
|3 tbsp||soy sauce|
|1 tsp||sesame soil|
|1 tsp||sriracha sauce, to taste|
|1/2 cup||coconut water, or more depending on thickness of sauce|
|local maple syrup, to taste|
Preparation time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Place rice in a sieve and rinse well under cold water. Place rice in saucepan, add 2 cups of water, a knob of coconut oil, a pinch of salt, and bring to a boil. Cover, turn to low, and leave to cook for 40 minutes (or cook according to package directions – brown rice instructions can vary).
- Place cubed carrots and beets on roasting pan. Toss with olive oil and a sprinkle of sea salt and black pepper. Roast for 20 minutes, or until crispy-rimmed and cooked through.
- While vegetables are roasting, make the peanut sauce by combining all ingredients in a food processor and blitzing until smooth.
- Taste sauce and adjust accordingly. if too thick, add more coconut water. Set aside.
- Place kale and chard in steamer over a pot of boiling water. Steam for 2 minutes, or until wilted.
- To serve, divide rice between bowls. Top with peanut sauce, steamed kale and chard, carrots, beets, pumpkin seeds and garnish with fresh greens.
Recipe provided by: Heartwood Restaurant
Local Source Guide:
Maple Syrup: Sugar Moon Farm