Honey Roasted Apple & Parsnip Soup
This is what we call soup for the soul. This flavourful dish is packed with seasonal local goodness & warm spices.
|1 lb||parsnip, peeled|
|1 1/2 lbs||local Honeycrisp apples, peeled and diced|
|1/4 cup||olive oil|
|1 tsp||coarse salt|
|1 cup||onions, diced|
|3/4 cup||celery, diced|
|1 tbsp||Dijon mustard|
|1 tsp||milled pepper|
|1/2 tsp||sea salt|
|1 L||vegetable stock|
|1 cup||local white wine|
|2 cups||heavy cream|
|1/2 cup||local blue cheese, crumbled|
|to taste||salt and pepper|
Preparation time: 1.5 hrs
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Place the apples and parsnips on a baking sheet. Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with coarse salt. Roast in a preheated oven for 45 minutes.
- Melt butter in a large stock pot. Saute onions and celery until tender, then add Dijon, salt and pepper. Deglaze pot with white wine.
- Add roasted apple and parsnips, along with the cinnamon sticks, bay leaves, water and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove cinnamon sticks and reserve. Remove bay leaves and discard.
- Puree soup in blender or with an immersion blender. When smooth, reintroduce the cinnamon sticks and stir in heavy cream. Garnish with crumbled blue cheese.
Local Source Guide:
Wine: Jost Vineyards, Petite Riviere Vineyards, Blomidon Estate Winery, Benjamin Bridge, Avondale Sky Winery, Casa Nova Fine Beverages, Grand Pre Wines, Gaspereau Vineyards, Luckett Vineyards, Lightfoot & Wolfville Vineyards, L’Acadie Vineyards, Planters Ridge Winery, Sainte Famille Wines,Lunenburg County Winery.
For more of our Taste of Nova Scotia events, news and recipes delivered directly to your inbox, subscribe to our Taste of Nova Scotia emails.