Seared Scallops with Bacon & Lime Butter paired with Jost Tidal Bay
Large, flavourful Nova Scotia scallops shine in this sweet & tangy recipe. Paired with Jost Vineyards’ Tidal Bay, this recipe is perfect as an appetizer or a complement to your main course.
|20||Large Nova Scotia scallops|
|1/4 cup||Demerara sugar|
|4||Limes (2 for garnish, cut into 12 wedges, 2 for zesting and juicing)|
|2 strips||Thick, local cut bacon|
|1 tbsp||Red chili flakes|
|To taste||Salt and pepper|
|To garnish||2 cups organic greens|
- Place scallops on sheets of paper towel to remove excess moisture. Do not squeeze or press scallops.
- Spread Demerara sugar over a large plate. Place scallops on top, rolling each coat slightly.
- Chop bacon and add to a small skillet on medium heat.
- Stir occasionally and cook until slightly browned. Do not crisp.
- Remove from the heat, drain and set aside on paper towel to absorb excess fat.
- Place a large skillet on a stove top set to medium-high heat. Heat pan thoroughly.
- Add 1 tbsp butter and allow to melt.
- Place scallops evenly in pan. Reserve extra sugar. Allow scallops to sear for 2 minutes.
- Add crumbled bacon to pan and turn scallops to sear on the other side.
- Add chili flakes and toss scallops in pan.
- Squeeze juice of 1 lime over pan.
- Add 2 tbsp of Demerara sugar and continue to toss contents of the pan until sugar has melted.
- Remove from heat.
- On 4 small rectangular plates, add a small handful of greens, place 5 scallops in a line on each plate.
- Drizzle pan sauce over each plate. Evenly sprinkle lime zest over scallops.
- Add additional chili flakes or lime juice if desired. Garnish with lime wedges.
Jost’s Tidal Bay is a beautiful complement to this dish.