Lobster Louie Salad
Any chance we get to add lobster to our meal, believe us – we take it. This delicious Lobster Louie Salad from our 2019 Taste of Nova Scotia Culinary Guide is the perfect light meal for a warm summer night. Pair it with a glass of Tidal Bay and you’ve got the perfect evening!
|1-2||heads iceberg lettuce|
|4||small button mushrooms, cut to 1/4 slices|
|8||cornichons, sliced in half (end to end)|
|1||celery stalk, cut into 1/8 slices|
|1||bunch of dill|
|2||eggs, room temperature|
|1||1.5 lb lobster|
|4||hot house tomatoes|
|1 tsp||celery seed|
|2 tbsp||smoked paprika|
Mary Rose Remoulade
|1 tsp||Worcestershire sauce|
|to taste||salt and pepper|
|2||dill pickles, diced|
|1/4 cup||dill, diced|
|1/4 cup||capers, diced|
- Grate tomatoes into bowl and spread on to a parchment lined sheet. Dry in an oven at 160F overnight.
- Mix dry tomato with celery seed and paprika then blend in a spice grinder. Set aside.
- Slice iceberg lettuce to get a 1″ cross section then cover with a damp towel. Set in the fridge.
- Cook eggs in boiling water for 6 minutes. Let them cool, peel them, and set aside.
- Slice the button mushrooms, celery and cornichons and set aside.
- Pick 3 or 4 sprigs of dill into nice florets and set aside.
- Steam lobster for 10 minutes. Chill, crack and carefully remove meat from the shell.
- Cut lobster meat into bite size pieces.
Mary Rose Remoulade
- Finely dice shallots and soak in water. Strain.
- Finely dice the dill pickles, capers and dill. Mix these and the shallots together, then set aside.
- Mix the mayo, ketchup, cream, Worcestershire, lemon, brandy, salt and pepper.
- Add the chopped mixture to the dressing.
- Place cut rounds of iceberg lettuce on plate.
- Spoon Mary Rose Remoulade on top and gently spread, about 2 spoons per salad.
- Place 2 pieces of claw meat and 2 pieces of tail meat on top of lettuce.
- Gently cut the soft egg in half and place on left side of lettuce.
- Arrange mushrooms, celery and cornichons artfully on top of lettuce and lobster. Finish with dill fronds.
- With a mesh sieve, sprinkle tomato powder over left half of salad, dusting the egg and some of the lobster and lettuce.
Local Source Guide:
Recipe provided by: Chef Geoff Hopgood, Lightfoot & Wolfville Vineyards
This recipe is featured in our 2019 Taste of Nova Scotia Culinary Guide.