Mrs. Beeton’s Lemon Almond Tart with Juniper Custard
Lemon juice, ground almonds and juniper custard—three things that go together seamlessly. Mrs. Beeton’s Lemon Almond Tart with Juniper Custard from Le Caveau is a refreshing change from your average dessert. Thankfully, this tasty recipe makes more than enough serving to share. Don’t be shy, take seconds!
|150 g||Ground almonds|
|30 ml||Lemon juice|
|2 1/2 cups||Flour|
|1/4 – 1/2 cup||Ice cold water|
|1 litre||18% cream|
|2 tbsp||Corn starch|
|1 tsp||Crushed juniper|
|To garnish||Icing sugar|
|To garnish||Slivered almonds|
- In a pot, bring the cream to simmer with the juniper.
- In a bowl, whisk egg yolks, corn starch and sugar until smooth.
- Strain cream into the egg mixture and mix well.
- Return ingredients to pot over medium heat and cook until custard thickens.
- Remove from heat and strain.
- In a food processor, add flour, salt, sugar and butter. Blend until it forms coarse meal-like consistency.
- Slowly add water to mix until it comes together. The dough should not become too wet. Mix for another 10 minutes then remove and put somewhere cool.
- Roll out to 1/4″ thick and line a 10″ tart pan.
- Blind bake with parchment and beans or rice for weight to help hold shape for 15 minutes at 350F.
- Cream together butter and sugar until smooth.
- Add eggs slowly and mix until well combined.
- Fold in almonds.
- Add mix to the parbaked shell, smoothing with a spatula.
- Place in oven and bake at 350F until set (approx. 20 minutes).
- Cut into 8 pieces, dust with icing sugar and slivered almonds.
- Pour custard over each piece upon service.
This recipe is featured in our 2021 Taste of Nova Scotia Culinary Guide.