Scallop Burgers and Potato Salad
This unique twist on the typical burger is packed with variety of flavours, and it features plenty of fresh ingredients from Nova Scotian farmers!
Ingredients for Scallop Burgers and Potato Salad Side
|1 lb||medium scallops|
|2 tbsp||olive oil|
|3 tbsp||chopped capers|
|1 tbsp||pickle brine|
|1/4||red cabbage, julienned|
|2 tbsp||Nova Scotia honey|
|1/2 cup||plain yogurt|
|apple cider vinegar|
|1 lb||local potatoes, boiled|
|1 cup||plain yogurt|
|1/2 cup||pieces of pickled herring|
|1/4 cup||diced onions (or chives, or scallion)|
|to taste||fresh dill|
- Pat scallops dry.
- In a medium hot pan, sear scallops on one side in butter and olive oil for 90 seconds, then flip and cook for another 30 seconds or so, until just cooked through.
- Squeeze lemon into pan.
- Remove from heat and season with a pinch of Tidal Salt Fleur de Sel.
- Mix mayo, capers, and pickle brine to make tartar sauce.
- Toss cabbage, apple cider vinegar, NS honey, and yogurt to make slaw.
- Build your burger! Toasted bun, scallops, tartar sauce, and slaw! Top with fresh dill.
For Potato Salad:
- Slice and layer potato pieces on a platter.
- Generously pour the yogurt over, topping with pickled herring.
- Finish with fresh dill, salt, and diced onion.
Local Source Guide
Pickled Herring: Comeau Sea Foods Limited
Recipe and photography provided by: Jennifer Crawford