Smoked Haddock & Corn Chowder
Can’t make the tough call between corn chowder or seafood chowder? Don’t fret! This recipe for Smoked Haddock & Corn Chowder gives you the best of both worlds. This comforting and smokey dish is perfect for sharing among friends.
|4 oz||raw bacon, diced|
|1 small||onion, small diced|
|1||leek, split in half lengthwise and thinly sliced|
|1 large||Russet potato, small diced|
|1 quart||fish stock|
|1 lb||smoked haddock, dice in 1/2-inch pieces|
|2 cups||corn kernels (fresh, canned or frozen)|
|3 cups||heavy cream|
|3 tbsp||potato flakes|
|1 bunch||green onion, thinly sliced (for garnish)|
|For garnish||crispy bacon|
|To taste||salt & pepper|
Serves: 4-8 people
- Cook bacon until some fat is rendered. Add onion and cook in bacon fat until translucent.
- Add leeks and cook for one minute, then add potatoes and fish stock.
- Simmer until potatoes are almost cooked through, then add smoked haddock, corn and cream.
- Bring to a simmer, and thicken with potato flakes to desired consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into cup or bowl, and garnish with crispy bacon bits and green onion.
Local Source Guide
Seafood: Evan’s Seafood & Restaurant, Arichat Seafood Market, Clearwater Seafoods Ltd., Masstown Market’s ‘Catch of the Day’ or Fisherman’s Market
Bacon: Meadowbrook Meat Market or The Pork Shop
Recipe provided by: Argyler Lodge and Restaurant
This recipe is featured in our 2018 Taste of Nova Scotia Culinary Guide.