Stuffed Pork With Apple & Sage
Just reading this recipe is enough to make you hungry. This savoury dish includes a celebration of local ingredients – local Gouda cheese, Ironworks apple brandy, Nova Scotia Honey Crisp apples ,Nova Scotia honey and Pork Shop Applewood smoked bacon.
|2-3 lbs||trimmed local pork tenderloin|
|8 oz||local Gouda Cheese, sliced*|
|1 lb||Pork Shop Applewood smoked bacon**|
|2 cups||Ironworks Apple Brandy***|
|3||Nova Scotia Honey Crisp apples, peeled and diced****|
|1 1/2 tbsp||Nova Scotia honey|
|20 g||fresh sage|
|salt and pepper to taste|
Directions (serves 4):
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F. Butterfly the pork tenderloin by slicing vertically down the middle, leaving 1-2 inches at either end and making sure not to cut all the way through.
- Place 1/2-inch cheese slices in the centre of the butterflied pork. Wash the leek thoroughly and lay whole leek on top of the cheese. Wrap in bacon to enclose all the ingredients.
- Place bacon-wrapped tenderloin on baking sheet. Bake in pre-heated oven for 25 minutes.
- Cook the diced apples in a saute pan on medium-low heat. Add brandy and honey to the sauteed apple. Add demi-glace and reduce to desired consistency.
- Pinch off leaves from sage. Heat oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Fry 6-8 sage leaves at a time until crisp — approx. 2-3 seconds. Transfer with a fork to paper towels.
- Sauce each plate with demi-glace and garnish with the crispy fried sage leaves.
Recipe provided by: Oak Island Resort & Conference Centre
*Purchase local Gouda Cheese at Fox Hill Cheese House or Knoydart Cheese House & Farm.
**Pork Shop Applewood smoked bacon can be purchased from their locations in New Glasgow and Denmark, Masstown Market and Stirling Fruit Farms.
***Find Ironworks Distillery’s Apple Brandy at the distillery, select Farmers’ Markets or from Ironworks’ online store.
****Pick up farm-fresh seasonal produce from Noggins Corner Farm Market, Stirling Fruit Farms, Masstown Market or one of the many other Farmers’ Markets of Nova Scotia.