Wild Blueberry Pound Cake French Toast with Blueberry Maple Sauce
This recipe, by Alain Bossé, the Kilted Chef, was featured as part of the Get Your Hands on Local launch at the New Glasgow Aberdeen Sobeys in February 2020. This wild blueberry packed recipe is perfect for a tasty dessert or a decadent brunch!
Ingredients – Blueberry Pound Cake French Toast
|2 tsp||Baking soda|
|1 cup||Frozen wild blueberries|
- Cream together the butter, sugar and vanilla. Mix in the buttermilk.
- Combine flour and baking soda and add to the creamed mixture, alternating with the eggs.
- Fold in the blueberries and pour into a prepared bundt pan.
- Bake at 325 for 1 ½ hours or until toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean.
- Cut cake into 10 slices after leaving it to rest for one day.
Ingredients – Wild Blueberry Sauce
|2 cups||Nova Scotia wild blueberries|
|1/2 cup||Van Dyk’s Wild Blueberry Juice|
|1 cup||Maple syrup|
|5 turns||Fresh ground pepper|
- In a medium sized frying pan, on high heat, melt the butter and incorporate the wild blueberries.
- When it begins to simmer add the wild blueberry juice and the maple syrup.
- Reduce heat until it begins to thicken (approx. 15 minutes). Then add pepper and simmer for another 5 minutes.
Ingredients – Egg Wash
|1 cup||Whipping cream|
- Place all ingredients in a medium sized bowl and whisk until frothy. Set aside.
- Dip piece of cake in egg wash and grill on both sides until golden brown. Plate.
- Top with wild blueberry sauce then if you wish add whipping cream.
Local Source Guide:
Nova Scotia wild blueberries:
- Oxford Frozen Foods: Available at Sobeys, Atlantic Superstore and several independent retailers.
- Millen Farms: Available at Sobeys and several independent retailers around the province including Noggins Corner Farm Markets and Masstown Market.
- Acadian Maple: Purchase via their online shop, the retail store in Tantallon, or by visiting your local Sobeys and Atlantic Super Store.
- Sugar Moon Farm: Available via their online shop.
Recipe provided by: Alain Bossé, the Kilted Chef
This recipe was featured at the Get Your Hands on Local launch