Gluten Free Pancakes
This recipe, by Howard Selig of Valley Flaxflour Ltd., was featured as part of the Get Your Hands on Local launch at the New Minas Sobeys in February 2020. These delicious, hearty pancakes are a nutritious meal for breakfast or supper, adding fibre and flavour to your plate. Add frozen wild blueberries for an extra antioxidant kick!
Ingredients – Pancakes
|1/2 cup||Valley Kitchen Pancake Mix|
|2 tbsp||Local unsweetened apple sauce|
|1/3 cup||Milk or water|
|2 tbsp||Frozen local wild blueberries|
|2 tbsp||Local maple syrup to taste oil for the pan or griddle|
Yield: 2 pancakes
- In a bowl, mix the Valley Kitchen Pancake & Cookie Mix with the cinnamon, apple sauce, egg, and milk. Stir to combine. Stir in the frozen blueberries. Add a little extra water, if necessary, to keep the batter thin enough to spread when scooped onto the griddle.
- Lightly spray the griddle or frying pan with oil.
- Ladle the batter onto the hot griddle or frying pan.
- Flip when the edges of the pancake start to appear set. Finish cooking.
- Serve with your favourite local pure maple syrup.
Enjoy with yogurt, and fresh fruit. A dollop of whipped cream is a decadent add-on.
Local Source Guide:
- Acadian Maple: Purchase via their online shop, the retail store in Tantallon, or by visiting your local Sobeys and Atlantic Super Store.
- Sugar Moon Farm: Available via their online shop.
Nova Scotia wild blueberries:
- Oxford Frozen Foods: Available at Sobeys, Atlantic Superstore and several independent retailers.
- Millen Farms: Available at Sobeys and several independent retailers around the province including Noggins Corner Farm Markets and Masstown Market.
Recipe provided by: Howard Selig, Valley Flaxflour Ltd.
This recipe was featured at the Get Your Hands on Local launch