Mushroom Risotto Paired with Mercator Reserve Marquette
Deep and complex, mushroom risotto is the perfect side dish for steak and chicken. Parmesan and cremini mushrooms pair to create a decadent risotto bursting with umami flavour profiles. This side dish pairs perfectly with Mercator Vineyards’ Reserve Marquette with its rich dried fruit and spice notes.
|1 cup||Arborio rice|
|3 cups||cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced|
|3 cups||white mushrooms, thinly sliced|
|2 tbsp||olive oil, divided|
|1/4 cup||local white wine|
|4 cups||chicken stock, warmed|
|2 tbsp||chives, finely chopped|
|1/4 cup||parmesan cheese, freshly grated|
|sea salt, to taste|
|freshly ground black pepper, to taste|
- Warm chicken broth in a saucepan over low heat.
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil to a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; cook and stir until soft, about 3 minutes. Remove mushrooms and their liquid to a bowl and set aside.
- Add remaining 1 tbsp olive oil to the pan. Stir in shallots and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add rice; stir until rice is coated with oil and pale, golden in colour- about 2 minutes.
- Add wine, stirring constantly until wine is fully absorbed. Add 1/2 cup warm broth to the rice and stir until the broth is absorbed. Continue adding broth a little at a time, stirring constantly, until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender yet firm to the bite- about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in reserved mushrooms and their liquid, butter, and chives. Add parmesan cheese, keeping some aside to top off the risotto when serving.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately. Serve with Mercator Vineyards’ Reserve Marquette and a hearty main, like beef tenderloin, rack of lamb, or grilled vegetables.
Mercator Vineyards’ Reserve Marquette is a wine with depth and complexity, making it a great complement to this hearty mushroom risotto.
Local Source Guide
Mercator Vineyards Reserve Marquette: Available for sale directly from Mercator Vineyards.
Recipe provided by: Mercator Vineyards
Photography provided by: Alexa Cude, @seriouslyalexa
This recipe is featured in our 2023 Taste of Nova Scotia Culinary Guide.