Salted Caramel Apple Tart
This Salted Caramel Apple Tart has all the flavour of an apple pie, but only takes a fraction of the work. If you’ve been apple picking, this recipe is the perfect opportunity to gather up your leftover apples and make something delicious. Made with Valley Flax Flour and Coldstream Clear Salted Caramel Liqueur, this tasty fall treat will have you feeling cozy in no time.
|1/4 cup||Valley Flaxflour Brown Flax Flour*|
|1 + 2 tbsp||sugar|
|8 tbsp||cold unsalted butter, cubed|
|1/3 cup||ice water|
|4||gravenstein or other baking apple, cored, thinly sliced**|
Caramel Sauce Ingredients:
|1/2 cup||whipping cream|
|2 tbsp||Coldstream Clear Salted Caramel liqueur***|
|1/4 tsp||sea salt|
Directions (serves 8):
- Blend flour, flax flour, sugar and salt in a food processor until thoroughly combined.
- Add the butter, while pulsing, until small crumbs form. Add ice water a tablespoon at a time until the dough comes together.
- Remove and flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least an hour.
- Make the sauce by heating sugar and water over medium heat. Cook, while swirling the pan, until it turns amber in colour, about 12 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the cream, liqueur and salt.
- Return to the heat and bring to a simmer for another minute. Let cool.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Mix together the apples, sugar and spices.
- Roll out the dough into a 12” circle and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Toss together the apples, sugar and spices.
- Pile or arrange the apple slices onto the dough leaving a 2” border. Drizzle a few tablespoons of caramel sauce over the apples.
- Fold the edge of the crust over the apples, overlapping as needed.
- Whisk together the egg and water and brush onto the crust. Bake until apples are tender and crust is golden brown, about 45 min – 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and let cool. Drizzle with caramel sauce and sprinkle with additional sea salt to taste.
Recipe provided by: Kelly Neil & Kathy Jollimore
***Find Coldstream Clear’s Salted Caramel liqueur at the distillery, select Farmers’ Markets or from select NSLC locations.