Smoked Haddock Chowder paired with Jost Tidal Bay
This Smoked Haddock Chowder recipe is a classic that whole family will enjoy. Pair it with Jost Vineyards Tidal Bay for a classy dinner upgrade.
|1 lb||Local smoked haddock filets (rinsed and soaked in cold water for an hour), cut into small pieces|
|1||Small onion, finely chopped|
|1/2 cup||Carrot, finely chopped|
|1||Stalk leek, thinly sliced|
|1||Stalk celery, finely chopped|
|2 tbsp||Canola oil|
|3||Medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cubed to approx. 1 cm|
|2 tsp||Dried thyme leaves (or 2 tbsp fresh thyme)|
|Fresh cracked pepper|
|4 cups||Vegetable stock|
|1 cup||Whipping cream (may substitute with coconut milk)|
- In a large pot on low to medium heat add oil, carrot, celery, leek and onion and allow to soften but not brown.
- Add thyme, salt, pepper, bay leaf and water and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add smoked salmon, potato and vegetable stock and continue to simmer, covered, for half a hour.
- Reduce heat to low and add whipping cream.
- Portion as desired, adding parsley as garnish prior to serving.
- Serve with your favourite crusty bread or fresh biscuit.
For more of our Taste of Nova Scotia events, news and recipes delivered directly to your inbox, subscribe to our Taste of Nova Scotia emails.