Spicy Tuna Poke Bowl Paired with Gaspereau Riesling
Spicy, fresh, and satisfying – what more could you ask for from a spicy tune poke bowl? This recipe balances spice with fresh avocado, ginger, and local yellowfin tuna for a new spin on a modern classic. Pair with Gaspereau Vineyards’ crisp and dry Riesling to harmonize these exciting flavours.
|1 cup||sushi rice, cooked|
|2 1/2 tbsp||rice wine vinegar|
|1 1/2 tsp||sugar|
|6 tbsp||orange juice|
|4 tbsp||green onion, thinly sliced|
|2 tsp||soy sauce|
|1 1/2 tsp||sesame oil|
|1/2 tsp||fresh ginger, grated|
|1 lb||sushi-grade local yellowfin tuna, cut into 1/2 inch cubes|
|1 cup||carrot, julienned|
|1 cup||cucumber, chopped|
|1 cup||radishes, thinly sliced|
|1||large avocado, diced|
|sesame seeds, for garnish|
|sliced nori sheet, optional|
|2 tsp||soy sauce|
|1 tsp||local honey|
- Cook rice however preferred – steamed, boiled, or rice cooker will all work. While rice cooks, combine the vinegar, sugar, and salt in a small container and microwave for 30 seconds until sugar is dissolved.
- Once the rice is cooked, pour the vinegar mix over the rice and stir with a wooden spoon until well combined. Let the rice cool at room temperature.
- Mix all the ingredients for the tuna, except the tuna, in a medium bowl. Add the tuna and stir until well combined. Cover and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes, or up to one hour.
- Divide the cooled rice between 4 bowls.
- Top each bowl with 1/4 of the tuna mixture. Divide the veggies and arrange beside the tune in clusters. Garnish with sesame seeds and nori.
- Mix the ingredients for the spicy mayo together until smooth, then drizzle over the bowls. Serve with Gaspereau Vineyards’ Rielsing.
Crisp and dry, Gaspereau Vineyards’ Riesling is a versatile, food-friendly wine!
Local Source Guide
Gaspereau Vineyards’ Riesling: Available for sale directly from Gaspereau Vineyards, NSLC, or private liquor stores.
Recipe provided by: Gaspereau Vineyards
Photography provided by: Alexa Cude, @seriouslyalexa
This recipe is featured in our 2023 Taste of Nova Scotia Culinary Guide.