What’s Cooking: January 28 – February 4
February is just around the corner and there’s plenty of exciting new product releases, events, and of course, Valentine’s Day specials to look forward to! Keep reading for this week’s highlights around the province as well as a delicious beer battered Fish and Chips recipe!
Garrison Brewing Co.
Tall Ship lovers! Ever feel like you’re in the mood for a lighter and more refreshing version of your favourite beer? It’s your lucky day – Garrison Brewing Co. has just released Tall Ship Light! It’s deliciously simple, made with filtered water, Canadian barley, and premium hops and yeast. 12x355ml can packs are available starting Friday, January 29th at the Seaport, Oxford Taproom and online retail stores a $25 all-in intro price! Starting February 7th, you can find it at your local NSLC.
Compass Distillers have released three new cocktail syrups – Hibiscus, Lavender, and Apple Cinnamon, which pair perfectly with their dried citrus garnishes. If you’re looking to bring your next cocktail night to a whole new level, visit them in-person or order online through their website.
Boxing Rock Brewing Co.
With February being Black History Month, Boxing Rock, Change is Brewing Collective, and the Black Loyalist Heritage Centre have teamed up to bring a historical brew at the end of the month. Stay tuned and follow @changeisbrewingco for all the details.
The Kilted Chef
Introducing The Kilted Chef’s Curated Foodie Box! The Kilted Chef and team have curated a selection of products from their personal collection as well as from their favourite local artisans and producers. You can now order online and have it shipped right to your door! Limited quantities are available, so keep your eyes peeled for when they restock!
Made With Local
Chocolate lovers rejoice! Made With Local is releasing a surprise new granola bar flavour this Friday, January 29th! If you’re a chocolate fan, this bar is bound to be your new favourite snack. Stay tuned to their social media to find out the new flavour!
Valentine’s Day Specials
- Salt Shaker Deli will be offering a special menu for the Valentine’s Day weekend, call 902-640-3434 to book your reservation now!
- Bulwark Cider’s Valentine’s Day collection is the perfect gift to share with a loved one! Choose from four gift sets: Sparkling Sips, Valentine’s Rosè, Valentine’s Cider Selection, or Desired Dessert. All are filled with delicious selections of cider and treats – visit their website or Cider House to get yours!
- Book a two-night getaway at Old Orchard Inn this Valentine’s Day and enjoy a special menu for dinner, there’s no better way to show someone you care! Visit their website to book your stay.
- Kitchen Door is letting you have a relaxing evening in with their four-course Valentine’s Dinner to go! Order online through their website.
- What’s better than wine and chocolate? How about wine flavoured chocolate! Petite Patrie Chocolate and Petite Riviere Vineyards have teamed up just in time for Valentine’s Day to bring you this decadent creation, yum!
- Crystany’s Brasserie has prepared a delicious three-course meal for dine-in or take out this Valentine’s Day. If you’re looking to reserve a table, email email@example.com to book now. (There will be live music too – how romantic!)
- Petite Riviere is collaborating with Lunenburg Rum Cakes to host a Valentine’s Wine and Chocolate event! On February 13th and 14th enjoy five different chocolates and wines, including their new Chocolate Fortified Wine! They’re also hosting a Valentine’s Dinner and Wine pairing on February 12th if that’s more up your alley.
Dine Around 2021
Halifax’s tastiest month of the year is back! Dine Around 2021 promises to be spicier, juicier, and more delicious than ever! From February 1 – 28, savour special menus from your favourite Halifax restaurants, priced 10 – $50. This year restaurants are offering dine in, take out, and delivery options, so it’s easier than ever to #supportlocalsafely! For more information visit www.dinearoundhfx.com.
Featured Recipe: Red Beer Batter Fish & Chips with Bacon Tartar Sauce
Did someone say winter comfort food? This Red Beer Batter Fish & Chips recipe from 2 Doors Down brings together the heavenly combination of local fish and Nova Scotia craft beer – what more could you ask for in a dish?
Get your hands on local turnips, parsnips, sweet potatoes, apples, potatoes, cabbage, carrots, and cucumbers while shopping at Noggins Corner Farm Market, Masstown Market, Stirling Fruit Farms Ltd., and other Farmers’ Markets of Nova Scotia.
For local beer check out our Taste of Nova Scotia craft breweries: Boxing Rock Brewing Company, Garrison Brewing Company, Meander River Farm and Brewery, Nine Locks Brewery, Paddy’s Brewpub, Propeller Brewing Company, Rudder’s Brewpub, Saltbox Brewery, Schoolhouse Brewery, Sea Level Brewing Company, Shipwright Brewing Company, Sober Island Brewing Company, Tatamagouche Brewing Company, The Church Brewing Company and Wayfarers Ale Society.