3.14 – Pi(e) Day Survival Guide
You don’t have to love math to get excited about Pi(e)
When you hear the word Pi, you might think about “the ratio of a circle’s circumference to its diameter”, but all we can think about is the kind that you eat! Lucky for all of us March 14 (3.14) is Pi Day. A day all about sweet and savoury pies! Here are some of our local favourites for you to try today.
For your Sweet Tooth
If you have a sweet tooth then we have 3 pies you MUST try. This Pi(e) day whip up one of these pies to try at home!
- Sweet Potato Pie – a sweet, delicious dessert provided by The Canteen. This sweet potato pie recipe will warm you up in no time!
- Sour Cream Lemon Pie – a tangy, refreshing dessert from the QuarterDeck that is the perfect end to any meal
- Blueberry Pie – Feeling blue? Try this sweet treat from Chanterelle Country Inn that the whole family will love
Savour the Savoury
If you’re more into the savoury then the sweet then we have you covered! We have pie recipes that feature fresh fish, warm flakey pastries and local vegetables.
- Seafood Pie – you can’t go wrong with this recipe from Masstown Market – fresh fish in creamy sauce covered by a flaky pastry
- Shepherd’s Pie – Flying Apron Cookery brings you this traditional comfort food for chilly winter evenings
Take Out & Take Home
If you don’t feel like cooking, grab something to go or try a pre-made pie from one of these Taste of Nova Scotia members. All you need to do is put it in the oven!
- Humble Pie’s On the Go – Stop by downtown Dartmouth to try one of Humble Pie’s New Zealand style savoury pies. Drop in for a taste of authentic butter flake pastry filled with local cuts, quality cheeses and rich gravy to fill you up on the go!
- Beef Pot Pie – available at Meadowbrook Meat Market in Berwick or their Alderney Landing location
- Beef & Ale, Sweet Potato, Roasted Chicken Curry and Chicken Veggie Pot Pies – Pie R Squared – try one of their gluten free and/or vegetarian pies