A Guide to Blueberry Season
High bush blueberries have returned for another season and low bush berries will be arriving soon – it’s an exciting time of year in Nova Scotia! Whether it’s for a snack or an addition to a meal, blueberries are a local favourite. Keep reading for a few delicious blueberry recipes and products that will help you get your fix this blueberry season.
Maple Blueberry Pork Loin Roast: This pork loin rib roast combines notes of warm spice, with whole cloves, and Nova Scotia maple syrup mixed with blueberry juice for a sticky glaze. It’s the perfect addition to any family feast!
Blueberry, Bacon and Quark Tart: A savoury dessert or a main dish – you decide! The combination of creamy cheese, salty bacon and herbs highlight our Nova Scotia blueberries beautifully.
Nova Scotia Blueberry Grunt: Blueberry Grunt is a stove-top dessert that brings out the full flavour our wild blueberries have to offer. Serve with a generous helping of ice cream and you’ll be wishing for seconds.
Blueberry Honey Cake with Bluenose Rum Sauce: Each bite of this warm, sweet dish will bring you home to Nova Scotia! Whether it’s a family staple or a local restaurant go-to, warm blueberry cake with a rum sauce is a local favourite.
Blueberry Buttermilk Muffins: These classic and fluffy blueberry muffins are easy to make in a pinch and make great use of Nova Scotia’s delicious wild blueberries. Enjoy them with breakfast, a morning snack or your lunchtime dessert.
Blueberry Moonshine Mojito: Moonshine makes for an excellent base in this twist on a cocktail classic. It’s perfect for any party or casual get together, and will definitely leave you wanting more.
UNESCO Town Blueberry Sangria: This Blueberry Sangria is exactly what you need to cheer you up on a hot day. Made with Lunenburg County Winery blueberry wine and fresh Nova Scotia berries, the only way to make this any fresher is to pick the berries yourself!
Wild Blueberry Lemonade: Looking for ways to beat the heat? This refreshing Wild Blueberry Lemonade will cool you down and have you craving more.
Blueberry Chia, Flax, and Oat Squares: These heavenly squares are made with Nova Scotian honey and blueberries, presenting a local and healthy option for snacking at the office or on the beach.
Wild Blueberry Smoothie: This smoothie is the perfect way to begin any day. Van Dyk’s Pure Wild Blueberry Juice is loaded with flavour and packed full of antioxidants, and will keep you energized all day long.
Where to Buy
Not sure where to buy your ingredients for all of these delicious meals? Here’s a guide of where to buy local blueberries – and other fun blueberry products to help you satisfy your cravings this season!
Blueberries can also be found from the following producers:
- Oxford Frozen Foods – Available at your local Sobeys, Atlantic superstore, and several independent retailers.
- Country Magic – Available at your local Sobeys, Atlantic Superstore, Walmart and several independent retailers.
- Millen Farms – Available at your local Sobeys and several independent retailers including Noggins and Masstown Market.
- Country Magic – The Blueberry Acres u-pick is now open from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday to Friday and 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. on weekends. Visit their website for all the updated Covid-19 u-pick rules and regulations.
- Lunenburg County Winery – Lunenburg County Winery’s high bush blueberry u-pick is open every day from 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. Picking is currently taking place at the bottom of the hill and comfortable shoes are recommended. More spots will be ripening in the next couple weeks.
- Helen B’s Preserves Blueberry Jam – Available at several independent retailers and many Farmers’ Markets of Nova Scotia across the province.
- Tangled Garden Verbena Blue Jam – Available at their garden & shop.
- Galloping Cows Wild Blueberry Spread – Available through Sobeys, several independent retailers and the Galloping Cows online store.
- Lunenburg County Winery Lunenburg Blueberry – Available at the winery and the NSLC.
- Muwin Estate Wines Wild Blueberry – Available for pickup at the winery and online, as well as through the NSLC, WestSide Beer Wine Spirits, Harvest Wines & Spirits, and Liquid Assets.
- Sainte-Famille Wines Wild Blueberry – Available at the winery and through online ordering, the NSLC, and Liquid Assets.
- Ironworks Distillery Blueberry Liqueur – Available at the distillery and through online ordering, the NSLC, WestSide Beer Wine Spirits, Harvest Wines & Spirits, Liquid Assets, and Farmers Markets.
- Van Dyk’s Wild Blueberry Juice – Available at your local Sobeys, various independent retailers and through online ordering.
- Viveau Wild Blueberry Water – Available at your local Sobeys, Costco, and various independent retailers.
- The Tea Brewery Blueberry Tea – Available at their tea shop and via online ordering.