Roasted Turnip and Apple Soup
This recipe, by Kitchen Door‘s Chef Andrew Farrell was featured as part of the Get Your Hands on Local launch at Sobeys Clayton Park in February 2020. The recipe features lots of produce you can find in the winter in Nova Scotia, including turnip, apples, onions and carrots along with local maple syrup and blueberries.
Ingredients – Roasted Turnip & Apple Soup
|6||Cloves of garlic|
|3||Sticks of celery|
|1 tbsp||Ground coriander|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
|4 tbsp||canola oil|
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Cut turnip, apples, and carrot into large dice, and toss with 2 tbsp canola oil, salt, and pepper.
Roast for 20-25 minutes on a parchment lined tray until nicely browned.
Cut onion and celery into manageable pieces.
Heat canola oil over med-high heat in a soup pot, then add onions, celery, whole garlic cloves, spices and seasoning.
Sauté until ingredients have just started to caramelize, then add water and roasted items from the oven.
Bring to a boil, allow to simmer for 30 minutes, then purée soup with an immersion blender or in a high-speed blender for a silky smooth result.
Ingredients – Blueberry Gastrique
|500 ml||Van Dyk’s Blueberry Juice|
|1/2 tsp||Xantham gum|
|50 ml||Pomegranate molasses|
|1 tbsp||Microplaned ginger|
- Combine all in blender, add a splash to the top of soup.
Ingredients – Maple Flax Savoury Granola
|100 g||Gluten free oats|
|25 g||Ground flaxseed|
|2 tbsp||Canola oil|
|2 tbsp||Maple syrup|
- Combine all in a bowl and mix throughly.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Place granola mix on a parchment lined tray, and bake for 20-25 minutes, until nicely toasted.
- Great on salads and soups!
Local Source Guide:
Nova Scotia Apples:
- Noggins Corner Farm Market: Purchase directly from their several market store locations.
- Stirling Fruit Farms: Purchase directly from their several market store locations.
- Scotian Gold; Purchase directly from their several market store locations or find their apples at Sobeys stores and some Atlantic Super Stores in Nova Scotia.
- Agri-Growers Limited: You can find Agri-Growers carrots, onions and turnip for this recipe at Sobeys, Atlantic Superstore and several independent retailers across the province.
- Country Magic: You can find local Country Magic onions for this recipe at Sobeys, Atlantic Superstore and several independent retailers across the province.
- You can also find local produce at Noggins Corner Farm Market, Stirling Fruit Farms, Masstown Market or one of the many other Farmers’ Markets of Nova Scotia – currently operating via their online store.
- Acadian Maple: Purchase via their online shop, the retail store in Tantallon, or by visiting your local Sobeys and Atlantic Super Store.
- Sugar Moon Farm: Available via their online shop.
Recipe provided by: Chef Andrew Farrell, Kitchen Door
This recipe was featured at the Get Your Hands on Local launch