Sweet Apple Cider, Blueberry & Flax Smoothie
This recipe, by Howard Selig of Valley Flaxflour Ltd., was featured as part of the Get Your Hands on Local launch at the New Minas Sobeys in February 2020. This smoothie is a nutritious blend of pre and pro-biotics, is high in fibre, and is source of omega-3 fatty acids.
|1/2 cup||Local sweet apple cider|
|2 tbsp||Frozen Nova Scotia wild blueberries|
|1/4 cup||Van Dyk’s Wild Blueberry Juice|
|1 tbsp||Valley Kitchen fine milled flax flour|
|1/2 cup||Kefir, 2% mf or bioactive yogurt|
Yield: 1 serving
- Combine all ingredients in a blender.
- Process until smooth.
Local Source Guide:
Sweet Apple Cider:
- Noggins Corner Farm Markets: Available at any of their retail locations.
- Stirling Fruit Farms: Available at any of their retail locations.
Nova Scotia wild blueberries:
- Oxford Frozen Foods: Available at Sobeys, Atlantic Superstore and several independent retailers.
- Millen Farms: Available at Sobeys and several independent retailers around the province including Noggins Corner Farm Markets and Masstown Market.
Recipe provided by: Howard Selig, Valley Flaxflour Ltd.
This recipe was featured at the Get Your Hands on Local launch