Triple Chocolate Holiday Trifle
Need a simple yet delicious dessert this holiday season? Look no further!
This Triple Chocolate Gluten-Free Holiday Trifle has layers of vanilla pudding, chocolate cake and chocolate whipped cream. Take it to the next level and top it with chocolate covered pretzels and truffles from local chocolatiers to create a rich, delicious tower of decadence.
Gluten-free Chocolate Cake:
|1 cup||Salted butter|
|1/3 cup||Cocoa powder|
|2 cups||Valley Flaxflour gluten-free pancake and cookie mix*|
|1 3/4 cup||Granulated sugar|
|1 1/2 tsp||Baking soda|
|1/2 cup||Fox Hill Cheese House vanilla yogurt**|
Directions for Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, then butter and flour a 10-12 cup bundt pan, and set it aside.
- In a small saucepan, over medium heat, combine butter, cocoa, water and salt. Stir until mixed and melted. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together gluten-free flour, sugar and baking soda. Add half of the butter and cocoa mixture, and whisk.
- Add remaining half of butter and cocoa mixture, and mix thoroughly. One at a time, add the eggs to the mix, whisking after each. Add yogurt, and whisk.
- Pour the batter into the bundt pan and bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Take the cake out, let it cool, then, after loosening the sides with a knife, invert the pan onto a rack.
|4 cups||Fox Hill Cheese House whole milk**|
|1 cup||Granulated sugar|
|2 tsp||Vanilla extract|
Directions for Pudding:
- In a bowl combine sugar, cornstarch and salt.
- In a medium sized saucepan heat milk over medium until the edges start to bubble. Add dry ingredients to the milk a few spoonfuls at a time, and dissolve.
- Do not let the milk boil. Repeat until all of the dry ingredients are combined, and the mixture has thickened and sticks to the spoon.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and butter. Chill for one hour.
Chocolate Whipped Cream:
|1 tsp||Vegetable oil|
|4 oz||Semi-sweet melting chocolate|
|1 litre||Whipping cream|
|1/2 cup||Granulated Sugar|
Directions for Chocolate Whipped Cream:
- In a saucepan on low heat melt the chocolate with vegetable oil.
- Add a splash of whipping cream to the chocolate, to dilute, mix well, simmer, then place in the freezer to cool for 15-20 minutes.
- With electric beaters, or a hand whisk, whip the cream and sugar until it almost forms peaks.
- Once the chocolate mixture has cooled, add it to the whipped cream mixture and beat until it forms peaks. Place in the refrigerator until trifle assembly.
Topping for Trifle
|8-10||Truffles from Gourmandise Avenue Chocolaterie***|
|5-7||Chocolate covered pretzels from Sweet Spot Chocolate Shop*** (not gluten-free)|
|Please note – the cake, pudding and whipped cream in this recipe are gluten-free. Toppings can be changed/adapted for your own preference and dietary requirements.|
Trifle Directions (serves 8 to 10)
Making the Trifle:
- Cut the cake into 1’ square cubes, then create a thick layer of them in the bottom of a trifle dish. Add pudding.
- Spoon the chocolate whipped cream onto the top. Garnish with chocolates.
- Chill for 20 minutes then serve with bowls and spoons.
*Find Valley Flaxflour products at select Farmers’ Markets or shop online.
**Pick up farm-fresh seasonal produce from Noggins Corner Farm Market, Stirling Fruit Farms, Masstown Market or one of the many other Farmers’ Markets of Nova Scotia.
***Find Gourmandise Avenue Chocolaterie and Sweet Spot Chocolate Shop in their retail stores.