Vegan Carbonara paired with L’Acadie Vineyards Joie de Vivre
Full of flavour and extremely delicious, this Vegan Carbonara recipe from L’Acadie Vineyards is almost too good to be true! This vegan recipe uses tofu, raw cashews and mushrooms to transform it into an amazing dish. Paired with L’Acadie Vineyards Joie de Vivre, the wine is the perfect complement to this rich dish.
|150 g||Acadiana Soy extra firm tofu|
|2 tbsp||Tamari or soy sauce|
|4 – 6 drops||Liquid smoke (about 1/8 tsp or less)|
|1/4 – 1/2 tsp||Sriracha|
|2 tbsp||Olive oil|
|3/4 cup||Raw cashews|
|1/2 cup||Non-dairy milk|
|3||Garlic cloves, minced|
|2 tbsp||Nutritional yeast|
|1 tsp||Lemon juice|
|1/8 tsp||Black salt (kala namak)|
|1/2 cup||Mushrooms, sliced|
|1||Zucchini, spiraled (optional)|
|1/2||Joie de Vivre|
Pour yourself a glass of Joie de Vivre to start!
Faken (veggie bacon)
- Mix together tamari, liquid smoke and Sriracha sauce.
- Thinly slice tofu and marinate in mixture for 10 minutes (or longer if you want to make in advance).
- Heat a pan on medium, add oil, fry the faken (marinated tofu) until crisp. Remove.
- Make sauce while faken is marinating. Add cashews, milk, 1 clove of garlic, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, and black salt to a food processor or blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- In same pan as the faken was cooked, add more oil if needed.
- Add onion, mushrooms, and the rest of the garlic and sauté until onion starts to caramelize.
- Optional – add spiralized zucchini.
- Break up faken and add to vegetable mixture. Add wine and sauté until evaporated.
- While faken is cooking, boil water. Cook spaghetti while vegetables are cooking. Reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water.
- Add sauce and vegetable mixture to spaghetti, toss to combine (add some pasta water for a thinner sauce).
- Serve immediately.
- Serve with salad or seasonal roasted vegetables.
- Pour another glass of Joie de Vivre and enjoy!
Wine Pairing: Bright and fresh, with aromas of apple, lime, and citrus, L’Acadie Vineyards Joie de Vivre is the perfect complement to this decadent dish.
Local Source Guide:
L’Acadie Vineyards Joie de Vivre: Purchase wine from L’Acadie Vineyards by stopping by the winery, ordering online, or looking for their products at the NSLC or Liquid Assets.
This recipe is featured in our 2021 Taste of Nova Scotia Culinary Guide.