What’s Cooking in Nova Scotia June 30 to July 14?
July is shaping up to be a great month – from Canada Day celebrations on a beach and eating breakfast in a log cabin, to a good old fashioned kitchen party, here’s what’s cooking in Nova Scotia this week:
Hooray, it’s Canada Day! There are delicious things to eat and fun things to do all over Nova Scotia – so grab the family, or some friends, and celebrate all day long.
Garrison Brewing Company: Drink in honour of our beautiful country with the Coast to Coastless Imperial ESB – a true reflection of Canada
Sugah!: Downtown Halifax is the place to be on Canada Day. Take a stroll along the waterfront and enjoy a delicious hand-paddled ice cream cone while you scope out the best place to watch the fireworks over the harbour.
White Point Beach Resort: It’s a Canada Day beach party. Come out and celebrate with crafts, sandcastle building and games for all ages. There’s even going to be cake, a bonfire and fireworks at dusk.
Yarmouth & Acadian Shores
Rudder’s Seafood Restaurant & Brew Pub: Spice up your Canada Day celebrations with wing night and the musical styling of Derek Littlejohn.
Bay of Fundy & Annapolis Valley
Avondale Sky Winery: Take a tasting tour or relax on the patio and enjoy a wine inspired mini-holiday.
Sugar Moon Farm: Enjoy a truly Canadian “maple” experience with a log cabin all-day breakfast, a sugar camp tour and a sugar on snow treat.
Train Station Inn: Hitch a ride on a train car and enjoy an evening meal of Salmon Wellington, and for dessert try either their Strawberry Shortcake or Rhubarb Crumble – oh, it’s Canada Day, have both.
Celtic Music Interpretive Centre: Tradition, culture, music, and food – experience it all at their lunch ceilidh.
The Red Shoe Pub: We know you’ve heard of a kitchen party but have you heard of a kitchen fest? Be sociable this Canada Day with the Rankin family – you’re sure to enjoy some good eats and a whole lot of fun.
Take a Sunday drive to Planters Ridge Winery for lunch. Soak up some sun while enjoying a glass of their 2014 Rosé and a dish of artisanal pasta – yum yum!
It’s a good old fashioned Nova Scotian kitchen party at The Hatfield House. Join sommelier Raegan Stuart and enjoy local wine and three types of local tapas. We know you’ll have fun sipping the night away.
On-going events to watch for:
- June: Every Wednesday in June enjoy live music at The Grand Banker Bar & Grill. Listen to some tunes and feast on a true taste of Nova Scotia with their Traditional Maritime Seafood Chowder – we promise you won’t be sorry.
- June – September: Visit Gaspereau Vineyards Saturdays from June 27 to September 5 for musical entertainment, wine and snacks on their vine-side patio.
- June – October: Head down to L’Acadie Vineyards on Saturdays from 1pm-5pm for an exciting culinary Food Truck experience, and while you’re there enjoy a glass of their 2014 organic Rosé.
- July – August: Enjoy live music, martinis, mojitos, and tapas on the outdoor patio at Domaine de Grand Pré every Thursday from July 2 to August 27.
- July – October: Join Grape Escapes Wine Tours on select Saturdays from July to October for an exclusive tour at Benjamin Bridge and a two course gourmet lunch at Blomidon Inn. Tickets are $129 per person.
- All summer long: Pizza, sandwiches and more – Experience it all at Scanway Bakery & Café with their summer rooftop patio menu.
Save the Date:
- July 15, 2015: Enjoy an evening (6-8pm) of French poetry at Planters Ridge Winery. Tickets are only $15+Tax.
- July 15–25, 2015: Get ready for the Yarmouth Seafest Festival. From a dance off to a Seafood Cannery Tour, enjoy 10 days of sea inspired fun for the whole family.
- July 18, 2015: Roll up your sleeves and get ready for a vineyard and winery experience tour from 12pm-4pm at Avondale Sky Winery.
- July 18, 2015: It’s Blues on the Hill at Luckett Vineyards. Tickets are $50 and include admission, dinner and one glass of LV wine or Sea Level Beer.
- July 25, August 15, and September 12, 2015: The Flying Apron Inn & Cookery – dining on the Ocean Floor. Only three more dates available so book your spot now. $250+HST per person or $475+HST per couple
- August 7 & 8, 2015: The Halifax Seaport BeerFest returns for its ninth annual “Beer on the Pier” at the Cunard Center. Get your tickets at select NSLC stores or online.