Guide to Get Your Hands on Local at Local Source Market
The Local Source Market works to provide access to local, fresh, high-quality products that support a healthy lifestyle and allow customers to support local food and in turn, the local economy. Check out our list of the Taste of Nova Scotia products available at Local Source to assist you in getting your hands on local the next time you head to the store..
Look for the Taste of Nova Scotia logo where you eat, drink and shop to easily find products that are harvested, grown, and produced right here in Nova Scotia! From our land. From our sea. From our hands. There are SO many ways to Get Your HANDS on local!
In Nova Scotia, you can find an abundance of freshly harvested produce available all year long. Local Source has a vast selection of local fruit and vegetables to enjoy, along with many Taste producer products available for purchase:
- Den Haan Greenhouses produces greenhouse cucumbers and tomatoes, adding the perfect crunch to your salad or sandwich.
- Noggins Corner Farm harvests a wide range of high-quality products available at Local Source, including their potatoes, broccoli and cranberries.
- Stokdijk Greenhouses grow greenhouse cucumbers, tomatoes and peppers – all available at Local Source.
Meat & Seafood
Local farmers and fishers are an important part of our Nova Scotian culinary experience. Check out our list of the producers of Nova Scotia meat and seafood products that you’ll find on your next trip to the Local Source Market.
- Afishionado Fishmongers is a community-minded provider of fresh and fresh-frozen seafood. You’ll find their sustainable blue salmon and frozen haddock fillets at Local Source.
- Meadowbrook Meat Market‘s flagship location is located in the Annapolis Valley. All of their products are humanely raised and nutrient-rich.
Experience local dairy products with Fox Hill Cheese House. Their sixth-generation family farm, produces milk, specialty cheese, natural yogurt, and fresh pasteurized, non-homogenized milk in glass bottles. Their all-natural yogurt is available at the Local Source Market.
Knoydart Cheese House & Farm dairy is on the shelves at Local Source, their grass-fed, organic cheese curds and cheddar cheeses come in a variety of flavors, including peppercorn, garlic, dill caraway and cranberry.
Never underestimate the joy of a cup of local coffee – Nova Scotian coffee roasters have your local coffee cravings covered. At Local Source you’ll find Laughing Whale Coffee Roasters – they produce sustainable, ethical and delicious coffee that will have you “laughing” in no time.
Pantry and Snack Items
Fill your pantry staples with local products by looking for the Taste of Nova Scotia logo on these pantry staples and snack items.
- Acadian Maple Products makes 100 per cent pure Nova Scotia maple syrup and maple butter that you MUST try on your pancakes.
- Big Cove Foods produces a wide range of all-natural gourmet spice blends – you will find a variety of their products at Local Source as well as their salted caramels for a sweet treat.
- HELEN B’s Preserves make authentic jams, pickles and relish that embrace the traditional flavours Nova Scotians have always loved. Their entire selection of products is available at Local Source.
- Kittilsen’s Honey is one of the few full-time beekeeping operations in the province – find their honey products at Local Source.
- Made with Local brings together the yummiest ingredients to create Real Food Bars and Loaded Oats instant oatmeal to ensure your snacks have local love.
- Schoolhouse Gluten-Free Gourmet produces products in a 100 per cent gluten-free kitchen. Wholesome ingredients go into delicious and nourishing on-the-go foods for people sensitive to what goes into their bodies. From potato-millet bread to pumpkin muffins, brownies, and granola; their goodies feature quality, nutritionally-dense ingredients.
Sip local flavors all year long by trying a locally made beverage.
- Solas Kombucha produces quality local kombucha using hyperlocal ingredients where possible. Find their beverages available at the Local Source Market.
- Canada Geese (Spa Springs Canada Geese Mineral Water) offers a natural high calcium mineral water that makes a healthy and refreshing beverage. Due to its balanced taste, this gently sparkling water is perfect as a thirst-quencher or as a companion to delicate food.
- Pure high mineral content water, blends with premium fresh Nova Scotia fruit to create Viveau. All-natural Nova Scotia ingredients are expertly crafted to produce three flavours: blueberry, cherry, and apple.
- Van Dyk’s By Nature produces delicious 100 per cent wild blueberry juice, blueberry powder and dried blueberries made from only Nova Scotia wild blueberries. Their blueberry juice features no added water, sugar or preservatives.
Address: 2530 Agricola Street, Halifax, NS B3K 4C5, Canada
Hours: Tuesday – Saturday, 11 a.m. – 6 p.m., Sunday & Monday, closed.
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 902.406.0757
Have you discovered a new local product? Tried something new? We would love to hear from you! Use #GetYourHandsOnLocal to share your local story on social!
We believe in connecting over food and drink! Make sure to tag us on your culinary adventures and subscribe to our Taste of Nova Scotia newsletter for more news and culinary info.
@TasteofNS | #TasteofNS